Combining two recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swordman

Reaction score
Is it possible (or what would happen) to combine Nut Brown Ale and Irish Red (both from Northern Brewers)? Both use the same yeast. I was wondering if I could just combine them as I cook, to make a 2-gallon batch (they're both 1gal).

Possible? Disastrous? Tasty? Wasty-of-Timey? An affront to all known brewing principles?

I actually just though I would, to see what happens, but then I got curious and thought I'd ask. Thanks for any opinion or knowledge.

the links are:
https://www.northernbrewer.com/coll...s/products/irish-red-ale-1-gallon-extract-kit

and
https://www.northernbrewer.com/coll...products/nut-brown-ale-small-batch-recipe-kit

It'll be beer.... looks to be a lb of light golden DME, a lb of amber DME, plus unspecified steeping grains... 1/4 oz fuggles, 1/4 oz Willamette..
Might be fine, might be meh... depends on steeping grains, I guess. It will be neither an Irish Red nor a Nut Brown...

Have you brewed the kits as-is before? Is there a reason you don't want an Irish Red or a Nut Brown?

Unless you just like to wing it, come-what-may, You'd be better off with 1 gal each of 2 different decent (most likely, based on reviews) beers than 2 gallons of unknown and potentially meh beer....

Just my 2-cents... It'll still be beer either way. And it's YOUR beer, so you get to make the call! :D

It'll be beer.... looks to be a lb of light golden DME, a lb of amber DME, plus unspecified steeping grains... 1/4 oz fuggles, 1/4 oz Willamette..
Might be fine, might be meh... depends on steeping grains, I guess. It will be neither an Irish Red nor a Nut Brown...

Have you brewed the kits as-is before? Is there a reason you don't want an Irish Red or a Nut Brown?

Unless you just like to wing it, come-what-may, You'd be better off with 1 gal each of 2 different decent (most likely, based on reviews) beers than 2 gallons of unknown and potentially meh beer....

Just my 2-cents... It'll still be beer either way. And it's YOUR beer, so you get to make the call! :D

I've found brewing 1 gallon batches tedious, with too much waste. A good way to taste certain varieties though. I figured since I have these two left in my 1 gallon arsenal, I'd combine them for a better yield, as well as an interesting(?) taste. (interesting being the operative word and denoting neither good nor bad).

I think I'll go for it. For curiosity sake, I'll post the results when a cold bottle is ready. Gimme a month.

Well, it was very underwhelming. I ended up tossing some raisins into the boil, some extra DME I had leftover from making a starter (for another beer). I have to say a few bottles are okay tasting, but most of it is crap (for me). I have a wee heavy that's been in the secondary for a few months. I'll bottle that and finally have my summer brew. Who knew summer was in September (or October) now?

I plan to start earlier this next spring, and for crap sake, no more Franken-Brew or Strange Brew (unless it's the movie).

Back