Combining two kegs into one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmy3

Reaction score
After brewing a Mozaic IPA, I decided I wanted to experiment and split the batch into two kegs since both were free. I left one as an all Mozaic and the other I did a second dry hop of Amarillo. Both came out nicely but the Amarillo version is really great, and I'm wondering if it's risky to combine the kegs . I don't see why there would be much harm if I use a siphon much like a did to get it into the keg, as I assume the CO2 built up in the keg would be protecting it while I do so.

I was also considering just throwing a different type of dry hop into the plain batch (I'm sure there is as much danger in this as combining the kegs?), maybe Simcoe or something to get more information on the different hop profiles. I love Mozaic so far and what it brings to a beer, but I'm not sure how well it stands on it's own.

I wouldn't combine a great tasting beer with...something that isn't. I'd want to savor the great beer, undiminished.

Instead, I would dry hop just as you mentioned. At worst, use the same Amarillo, but you really should consider the opportunity you have before you and go for something different.

I'd go for some Citra, especially if you've never dry-hopped with it. I believe if you like the characters Amarillo provided, you'll go nuts over Citra :rockin:

Cheers!

Back