Combine West Coast IPA with NEIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Berry

Reaction score
I like both dank and bitter IPA along with the NE IPA. Has anyone tried a hop schedule that kinda does both? If so, was it good or just a hoppy mess? Thanks

I just brewed what I called a "west coast/east coast fusion IPA" 3 weeks ago. It started as a Resilience IPA kit that I bought because it was a fundraiser for the victims of the campfire forest fire. I wanted to "East coast-ize it" so I moved some of the boil hops later in the boil and into a whirlpool. I also added some galaxy and citra to the dry hop schedule. Finally, I used a middle of the road water profile (50/50 balance of chloride and sulfate).

I think the concept is good, it didn't work out very will with this kit because it had a bunch of crystal 60 (not uncommon with west coast IPAs) and that was enough to give it a mildly roasty flavor that really masks the hops. Bitterness was about right at around 60 IBUs.

I've also brewed other NIEPAs where I did everything like an NEIPA but added some FW hops to bump up the IBUs a bit . That turned out fantastic and, if you like a bitter IPA with the nice hop burst flavor, you'd be very happy with that approach.

I would not recommend following the grain bill that many west coast IPAs use (the resilience and fresh squeezed are examples). Stick with a simple light SRM approach with little/no crystal. If you want more body, use a dextrin malt like carapils. You can get your IBUs out of bigger late boil additions or use a FWH addition. Then WP and dry hop like any NEIPA.

Columbus makes a really nice late boil addition to get some dank bitter to go with some stereotypical fruit forward wp and dry hop hop choices.

I just brewed what I called a "west coast/east coast fusion IPA" 3 weeks ago. It started as a Resilience IPA kit that I bought because it was a fundraiser for the victims of the campfire forest fire. I wanted to "East coast-ize it" so I moved some of the boil hops later in the boil and into a whirlpool. I also added some galaxy and citra to the dry hop schedule. Finally, I used a middle of the road water profile (50/50 balance of chloride and sulfate).

I think the concept is good, it didn't work out very will with this kit because it had a bunch of crystal 60 (not uncommon with west coast IPAs) and that was enough to give it a mildly roasty flavor that really masks the hops. Bitterness was about right at around 60 IBUs.

I've also brewed other NIEPAs where I did everything like an NEIPA but added some FW hops to bump up the IBUs a bit . That turned out fantastic and, if you like a bitter IPA with the nice hop burst flavor, you'd be very happy with that approach.

I would not recommend following the grain bill that many west coast IPAs use (the resilience and fresh squeezed are examples). Stick with a simple light SRM approach with little/no crystal. If you want more body, use a dextrin malt like carapils. You can get your IBUs out of bigger late boil additions or use a FWH addition. Then WP and dry hop like any NEIPA.

Columbus makes a really nice late boil addition to get some dank bitter to go with some stereotypical fruit forward wp and dry hop hop choices.
Great info. I will probably start by, like you said, building an NEIPA and sending in some more hops in the boil. What about using C hops in the boil and citra, mosaic post boil? Will they all play nicely together? I think they probably will.

Great info. I will probably start by, like you said, building an NEIPA and sending in some more hops in the boil. What about using C hops in the boil and citra, mosaic post boil? Will they all play nicely together? I think they probably will.

They absolutely will and it makes a very nice blend IMO. I think you'll be very pleased with the results.

I designed a recipe trying to achieve this very result. It is a west coast IPA at heart but heavily influenced the northeast style. I was going for something like Heady or Sticky Hands which I think both blur the lines a bit.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/citrus-pine-tropical-dank.654189/

I just did another iteration with 100% mosaic in the dry hop and that came out great as well.

D240CC8A-BDFC-4FEF-86D9-B9A54AE250C1.jpeg
I’ve done a couple batches trying to mimic the beer pictured. This beer is on my top 5 favorite beers list!
Ibu = 40 or so
The brewer of this beer claims hop during active fermentation and a later dry hop addition only with Citra/Centennial

Any updates on this? A Google search led me here. I really enjoy O'Dell's Mountain Standard IPA and Oskar Blues Can-O-Bliss Mountain IPA. They are both kinda meld the two styles together. Really enjoyable.

Back