Columbia/Chapin SC Brewers - Water Data

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkeller12

Reaction score
I am trying to get my water dialed in since moving here from FL, much soft water here, but with a tight budget I cannot pay for a Wards report right now. I received numbers from the water dept. but I don't think they are accurate as they don't jive with how Bru'n Water says they should be. If anyone out there would be able to help me by providing any water analysis for this water that I could use it would be greatly appreciated.

My Wards report from last October. Sample taken from the Forest Acres area in NE Columbia.

pH: 7.6 (last brew was 7.2)
TDS: 82 (Est.)
Na: 8
K: 2
Ca: 11
Mg: 2
Total hardness, CaCO3: 36
Nitrate: 0.4 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S: 5 (multiply by 3 in Bru'n Water)
Cl: 11
Carbonate: <1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3: 13
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3: 11
Total phosphorus, P: 0.28
Total iron, Fe: 0.14

Last edited:
Do you have any issues brewing stouts...if you brew any? The local water is a little off for that style with such soft water.

I brew them every now and again. Can't say they're bad, but I'm sure there's definite room for improvement.
Water is one of those things I'll get to tomorrow :p

My Wards report from last October. Sample taken from the Forest Acres area in NE Columbia.

pH: 7.6 (last brew was 7.2)
TDS: 82 (Est.)
Na: 8
K: 2
Ca: 11
Mg: 2
Total hardness, CaCO3: 36
Nitrate: 0.4 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S: 5 (multiply by 3 in Bru'n Water)
Cl: 11
Carbonate: <1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3: 13
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3: 11
Total phosphorus, P: 0.28
Total iron, Fe: 0.14

Thank you so much for posting this. I know the water comes from a different plant but from what I have seen they are very similar. I will compare the 2 and at least have some decent numbers to start with. Thanks so much again. Cheers!

Thank you so much for posting this. I know the water comes from a different plant but from what I have seen they are very similar. I will compare the 2 and at least have some decent numbers to start with. Thanks so much again. Cheers!

A brew buddy of mine is in Lexington and he has very similar numbers.

I have brewed a few black ales without any water adjustments and they turned out great (to me).

Cheers!

A brew buddy of mine is in Lexington and he has very similar numbers.

I have brewed a few black ales without any water adjustments and they turned out great (to me).

Cheers!

Great. Makes me feel better. I am looking forward to a good stout.

Did you just move here?
If you're looking for LHBS, there's one on St. Andrew's Road (Bet-Mar, owner's name is Rick) and one in the Old Mill in Lexington (Hopyard, owner's name is Matt)

Did you just move here?
If you're looking for LHBS, there's one on St. Andrew's Road (Bet-Mar, owner's name is Rick) and one in the Old Mill in Lexington (Hopyard, owner's name is Matt)

Yes, we just moved at the end of May. I have been to Bet Mar, got my pumpkin ale ingredients there. Very nice people. I didn't know about the one in Lexington. I will have to give it at try. How do they compare?

Matt at the Hopyard is the brewer next door at the Brew Pub and super knowledgeable about everything from grain to glass. It's a beer only store, no wine. It is a smaller store, but he generally has everything I need. If he doesn't, he can make a good substitution.
I always thought of Bet-Mar as more of a wine store with a great selection of beer supplies and ingredients, if that makes sense.

Matt at the Hopyard is the brewer next door at the Brew Pub and super knowledgeable about everything from grain to glass. It's a beer only store, no wine. It is a smaller store, but he generally has everything I need. If he doesn't, he can make a good substitution.
I always thought of Bet-Mar as more of a wine store with a great selection of beer supplies and ingredients, if that makes sense.

Totally understand. The place I went to in FL was a combo beer/wine store and had more wine around then beer but it was more of a do it yourself place than Bet-Mar is. When I went into Bet-Mar for the first time it was a little strange not personally putting my grain bill together since most of the grains were behind the counter. Also, I don't usually store much grain at home so having to buy by the pound vs by the ounce for specialty grains which I became accustomed to will force me to have extra on hand...the wife will love that.

Thanks for the info, I will have to check it out. Cheers!

I'm sure all the locals are watching the news, but FYI if you get your water from the City you're under a boil water advisory.

Back