Colour question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riot

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to estimate colour change adding a small volume of very dark beer to a full batch of pale ale? I'm considering using the reusing the Irish ale yeast from my Guinness clone attempt, but I want to be able to at least speculate on final appearance. Should be about 500 ml of ~30 SRM stout into about 20 litres of 8-9 SRM pale.

I can't give you an exact answer. I reused a yeast I brewed a stout with for a cream ale. The quart jar I saved the harvested yeast in was very dark with the left over stout.
Before pitching I decanted most of the liquid over the yeast. I could not discern any darkening of color in the finished product.
Diluting 300 milliliters of "dark" yeast and beer solution with 5 gallons of beer was not perceptible.

It shouldn't effect the color too much with just that little amount. Normally people reuse yeast in the opposite direction tho. Going from light to dark beers. But like I said it shouldnt effect the color too much might get a tiny hint of roastiness tho.

Ok, I won't anticipate a colour addition. I am aware of the ideal repitch plan, but I grabbed the yeast with dry stout in mind and want another batch out of it before it retires.

Back