Coloring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TapeHead

Reaction score
I've noticed that my beer always ends up looking much darker that what the kit (extract) usually says the final color of the beer will be. It still tastes delicious so I'm not complaining, but curious. Anybody have any ideas?

the SRM of the actual extract used may be a bit off, not using the exact amount of water in the recipe, more water light in color, less water darker.

thats all I can think of for now. - oh almost for got the computer and printer used to print the color of the picture.

Boiling the malt extract can caramelize the sugars, leading to a darker color. You can try adding some fermentables later in the boil to reduce caramelization.

Try adding 1/2 a lb or less DME/LME per gal of water boiled. When you boil all of your DME/LME at the beginning it burns or darkens by the end of the boil. It's the same process bread goes through when you toast it.

Back