Colorado Brewing System kettle quality?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hennja2

Reaction score
http://www.cobrewingsystems.com/main.sc

I'm setting up an indoor electric brewery and I'm ready for a kettle with a triclamp for an element. I'm considering brewershardware, spikebrewing, and this Colorado brewing system outfit.

I haven't seen anyone comment on this place. They have 1mm thick pots at a good price. Anybody know anything about them?

Bump

Anyone? Or any other options where to by a 20 gallon kettle with an element triclamp?

I've never heard of them, but they look ok, very much like a bayou. I saw another company last week that had some good looking kettles, but I can't remember their name, I'll try to find them and report back.

http://www.cobrewingsystems.com/main.sc

I'm setting up an indoor electric brewery and I'm ready for a kettle with a triclamp for an element. I'm considering brewershardware, spikebrewing, and this Colorado brewing system outfit.

I haven't seen anyone comment on this place. They have 1mm thick pots at a good price. Anybody know anything about them?

I've not heard of them & the web link doesn't work.

I tried it also...link is farked. I Googled "Colorado Brewing System," and couldn't find anything.

Are they selling them off the back of a truck or something?

BTW, I just received my 20g Concord brew kettle from Amazon. It's robust--1mm thick and good, solid construction. Was $115 shipped. Give Concord a look.

Doesn't look like Update Int'l. I have several & they have tri-clad bottoms.
Look pretty good but my personal preference would not be to put the ball lock & thermometer under the handle.

To the O.P. did you end up buying from Colorado Brewing Supply?

Anyone else had experience with them? Looks like it is a fairly new company.

I've talked to the guy who owns the company and have given him an order for a 20 gallon kettle with an element triclamp ferule and 3 welded 1/2 inch couplers. I'll report back when I get it.

Sorry for the delay. I'll explain....

First off, the kettle is great. All the welds are perfect. I ordered a custom configuration with an extra full port inlet in the front for my whirlpool setup. Tim, the guy at Colorado Brewing Systems, emailed me and said that because of how close the ports were, an unsightly ridged formed on the pot. Instead of making me wait for a new one, he shipped out the imperfect pot quickly to me while he made me a new one. The replacement should be here after the weekend. He said he learned that in the future the ports can't be placed that close together.

I have delayed posting any pics because I want to show how nice the new kettle is. Colorado Brewing System gets an A+ from me for quality and an A++++ for customer service.

I'll post pics when I get the new kettle.

Curious if anyone else has any experience with Colorado Brewing System kettles?

I'm in the same boat where i'm evaluating kettles for my electric build, looking at Bru Gear, Colorado, Brewers Hardware, and Spike.

I'm in the process of purchasing 3 kettles with tri-clamp fittings.
I recently ordered a 20 gallon HLT kettle from Colorado Brewing Systems and it should arrive within 2 weeks.
I will see how I like the kettle and then decide on the other two-Boil Kettle and Mash Kettle.
I may go to a larger size Boil kettle but I'm presently undecided ?
Also this will be a RIMS project.

Thanks for the pics! Can you speak to the quality of the pot itself? Does it feel like it's a decent quality? Also, on the picture of the inside tri clamp weld it looks like there is a slight gap at the upper right. Is it an actual gap, and are you worried about critters hiding in there?

I also noticed that in the pic and assumed it was a gap, that cooled me on getting a CoBrewingSystems Kettle. On top of that, I also didn't like the dimensions for 15 gal. I prefer a soup can shape vs a tuna can.

Wanted to bump this thread to see if there are any updates from those who have gone with colorado brewing systems and to see if there is any more info on the possible issue with the weld that was mentioned in the previous post. Thanks! :mug:

My Cobrewsystems 20 gallon HLT kettle arrived a while back and I'm real happy with the weld ports for the tri clamps.
I just ordered another kettle which will be for the boil.
Its a decision where the ports should be located and they can help with this.

Just ordered one of their packages today. It will be a 20 gallon brew in a basket without the electronics package. Will be using propane for heat and ME for temp control. May modify the whirlpool to allow a COFI like recirculation like Brew Boss.
Will decide after I see the efficiency. If efficiency is within 10% of the Brew Boss with COFI I'll leave it be. Am excited to see how well the system operates and will report back after a couple of brew sessions. Hopefully will ship within a month.

Just ordered one of their packages today. It will be a 20 gallon brew in a basket without the electronics package. Will be using propane for heat and ME for temp control. May modify the whirlpool to allow a COFI like recirculation like Brew Boss.

Will decide after I see the efficiency. If efficiency is within 10% of the Brew Boss with COFI I'll leave it be. Am excited to see how well the system operates and will report back after a couple of brew sessions. Hopefully will ship within a month.

Anxious to hear how it goes. Congrats on the new purchase. I was able to buy a blichmann recently but next time I might be looking at a Colorado kettle due to my measly budget.

Are these pots drawn or welded? Tri-clad bottom?
Where are they made, not "assembled"?

When I get the system I will take some pics and be able to answer some questions about the quality and workmanship on this system. I am actually more curious to see the quality on the basket. I wanted to control costs and do not have 240V in my rental so I am sticking with the trusty BG-14 burner for heat. I hope my pot is triclad but know from experience that hot spots have not been an issue with the BG-14 and kettles with simple stainless bottom in the past. Temp control will be with a well calibrated analog thermometer and a thermopen. With recirculation I should be able to keep good control throughout the mash cycle.

I received mine and had one brew day. Having never done BIAB, I had a few minor issues. I used too much water for my 10 gal batch size and left the heat at too high a percentage for the boil and boiled off too much. An email to Tim at CBS was answered quickly, he asked me for the stats of my batch and then walked me through the solutions. You can't ask for better support! The equipment is top notch also. Highly recommend their products.

image.jpg

View attachment trim.C081263C-8BFD-4AC1-86CA-B9F1B14896D8.MOV

After much research I placed an order for a CBS 15 gallon electric BIAB set up , with the 400 micron basket upgrade it still came in 500 dollars less than Brewboss . Don't get me wrong the BB setup looked very nice but 450 for the cofi upgrade seemed way excessive to me as it represents about a 50% increase in the overall price

Back