Color on 100% Vienna beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have any pictures of a beer that was made with 100% vienna? Working on a Mexican Lager and I'm thinking of going vienna and flaked corn. However, I don't want it to be TOO orange. Just wondering if anyone has done a 100% vienna beer, or close to it, and can share a pic.

this is what beersmith tells me....

anotherprediction.jpg

not sure how much corn you were planing on using, i personaly think it makes my beer taste like vegetables, so don't use it.....

this is what beersmith tells me....

View attachment 673648

not sure how much corn you were planing on using, i personaly think it makes my beer taste like vegetables, so don't use it.....

Yours came out 1 level darker than what mine is supposedly . Mine came out at 4.5 in brewers friend. The hard part for me is relating the stated color numbers to a real life example so I was looking for an actual picture if anyone had one.

Ive only used corn once and didn't get the vegetable flavor.

Right now I was thinking 25% corn

i believe @Schlenkerla does a miller lite clone, he probably has a pic of it....(and damn why did you have to have such a hard name to spell!! i had to open multiple tabs and keep switching back and forth for that tag!!! :)) Corona is just another german lager, so miller should be close......l

Yeah, not going for miller lite at al . Not even going for Corona. City Lights brewing in Milwaukee has a Mexican lager that is fantastic. Going for something similar to tha .

took me a second to think, but.....maybe water profile? i've never had a city lights brew, so can't talk......

Sorry I may have led us astray here. Let me back up and restate the question.

I have a recipe built where im set on hops and water profile. Not going to change either of those. What im not sure of is the grain bill. My concern is that Vienna will be TOO orangey/dark as I've never used it by itself or seen a beer that was all Vienna (at least not that I know of).

So my question is - does anyone have a real life example of what a beer made with all or mostly Vienna and NO dark malts looks like?

Sorry I may have led us astray here. Let me back up and restate the question.

I have a recipe built where im set on hops and water profile. Not going to change either of those. What im not sure of is the grain bill. My concern is that Vienna will be TOO orangey/dark as I've never used it by itself or seen a beer that was all Vienna (at least not that I know of).

So my question is - does anyone have a real life example of what a beer made with all or mostly Vienna and NO dark malts looks like?

I don't have a picture or a sample but I've made a 100% Vienna malt beer. The beer will not be dark or orangey. Think more gold than yellow as a standard pale lager or pils might be. Vienna malt usually comes in about 3.5 Lovibond which is still pretty light in color.

I don't have a picture or a sample but I've made a 100% Vienna malt beer. The beer will not be dark or orangey. Think more gold than yellow as a standard pale lager or pils might be. Vienna malt usually comes in about 3.5 Lovibond which is still pretty light in color.
Perfect! That's the kind of info I was looking for! Thank you. That makes me feel better about it

It depends on OG. A 1.030 all vienna will be straw to yellow. A 1.080 will be deep orange. I've got an all Bestmalz vienna APA with a 1.051OG that's still clearing (only been chilled for a couple of days) - it's a golden colour. I'll take a photo when I get home if I remember. Also, the maltster makes a difference; eg. Bestmalz is quite a bit darker than Weyermann.

It depends on OG. A 1.030 all vienna will be straw to yellow. A 1.080 will be deep orange. I've got an all Bestmalz vienna APA with a 1.051OG that's still clearing (only been chilled for a couple of days) - it's a golden colour. I'll take a photo when I get home if I remember. Also, the maltster makes a difference; eg. Bestmalz is quite a bit darker than Weyermann.

Yup, that's true. I did assume a typical mid 40s OG for the Vienna lager. I do use Weyermann malt. I have made a Vienna malt Maibock with a 1.072 OG and it was deeper in tone than a basic Vienna but with the Weyermann the color was still golden without any orange hue.

According to BeerSmith, Weyermann vienna is 3.0SRM, Bestmalz is 4.6SRM. Weyermann is in the same range as typical Ale malts.

That's really good info! That helps too. The OG of my recipe is 1.045 and the maltster is Avangard Malz.

My LHBS has it listed as 5*L on their website.
Brewers friend uses 4*L for this malt in their recipe builder.
The maltster lists it as 8-12 EBC, which if the calculator I found is right, that's roughly 3.6*L - 5.1*L

Right now, SRM is showing on Brewers Friend as 4.26. If the vienna I'm using is actually at a 5*L, that would bring the color to 4.94 SRM which isn't terrible actually. I'm on the fence of diluting the Vienna with some 2 Row but right now, leaning towards keeping it as is.

Just thinking out loud... Thanks for the info.

Sounds good, I'm not opposed to malt forward,..... syrup, not so much. I guess I'll try 50% Vienna 50% pils first. Have them both in Weyerman, so it should be good.

Sounds good, I'm not opposed to malt forward,..... syrup, not so much. I guess I'll try 50% Vienna 50% pils first. Have them both in Weyerman, so it should be good.

The Weyermann Vienna is only slightly more highly kilned than the Pilsner malt. It's going to have a bit more toastiness and malt impact but as you can see from the pictures posted it is not really dark in color. Many modern golden colored German Oktoberfest beers are using a Vienna base. A good Vienna will be like a reduced gravity version of one of those. The malt flavor is very nice and the lower hop rate compared to a Pils helps with that.

I've done a few Vienna lagers - just love a more flavorful lager and this fits the bill.
My most recent was 90% vienna, 7.5% caramunich I and 2.5% acidulated.
I don't have any pictures, but it was a golden color, not orange.

While not 100% weyerman barke vienna. This is 97% vienna, 3% melanoidain malt 12p OG. Your brewing style will depend how much color pick up have.

Ga6zubs.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous...I just want to say for most homebrewers this color will be entirely unobtainable. If you told me this was 100% pils I would have believed you

Latest posts

Back