Color is WAY off. Reasons???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug029

Reaction score
So the other month I ordered a kit from Northern Brewer called Permafrost White Ale. As you can imagine this beer should be gold and clear (like is the picture). But for some reason and I’m not really sure why, mine came out in a really weird tan/reddish color. Anyone have any thoughts are what affects color like this? Listed below is the Malt used. THANKS!

7.0 lbs Rahr 2-row
4.5 lbs White Wheat Malt
0.75 lb Unmalted Wheat
0.75 lb Flaked Oats

Is the color you're seeing the color of the beer in a glass or in the fermentor? Often times when you see it in large quantities, the color looks much darker than when in the glass.

The malts you listed are all light and should give a light colored beer. Maybe you got "a substitute" (read: wrong malt)?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A picture would help. How long was the boil? Kettle caramelization might be one reason but I don't think that would account for the degree of change you seem to be describing. Another reason may be whoever boxed the kit mistakenly mixed in a darker grain.

No the beer is already bottled. Im at work now so tomorrow I'll try to post a picture of it. Its just a weird color Iv never soon before. like I said, Tan with like a clay red hint to it. The good news is it still taste pretty good! ha.

I dont believe the grians were mixed up but I guess that is possible and I did do a full boil.

Back