Collecting Culture from My Cats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So a few weeks ago I decided to see if I could get a yeast/bacteria culture started from my cats (Aerolite and Luna). I was inspired by a few beer blog articles about spontaneous fermentation and wanted to give it a try.

In your defense, where do we all think the yeast in a spontaneous fermentation comes from? The crap that lands in the wort is coming from somewhere, and plenty of it could be animal borne (and from more disgusting animals than cats).

This still has a serious ick factor, though.

Why stop there? I say pitch the whole cat.

The worst thing you can do to a cat beer is over-pitch the cat. Go to mrmalty.com, enter your cat's birthday to determine the percentage viability of your cat, and calculate the proper amount of cat to pitch. Hopefully you've been keeping your cat in the refrigerator, the viability calculated makes that assumption.

In all seriousness though, I'm interested in your results, well, it'll be interesting if it turns out. I'd say though, for this to really have a shot at turning out, you should plate it out, isolate colonies, build up from individual colonies, and see if any make a decent beer.

image.jpg

In your defense, where do we all think the yeast in a spontaneous fermentation comes from? The crap that lands in the wort is coming from somewhere, and plenty of it could be animal borne (and from more disgusting animals than cats).

This still has a serious ick factor, though.

For the record, nobody is saying cats are disgusting. Evil, yes, but not necessarily disgusting.

For the record, nobody is saying cats are disgusting. Evil, yes, but not necessarily disgusting.

I don't like cats, and they are fairly disgusting. I thought about getting a cat once, but I just started pooping in a box instead. But dogs are disgusting too, and I generally like them. I would be equally disturbed if the OP were culturing yeast and bacteria off of a dog.

There are more disgusting animals. Chickens, raccoons, opossums, rats, and cockroaches leap immediately to mind.

If the OP were petting the slime off the back of a New York City rat and using it to ferment wort, we would be crossing a whole extra line of nasty.

Wow.

Just wow.

Also: I'm morbidly tempted to go and try this with my three cats. I'm sure that'll end well.

Also: for the record, as the owner of 3 cats, I feel I can speak as an authority on this: I agree, cats can be (and very often are) absolutely disgusting.

Probably don't want to over do it with too much catty type hops or it might mask the flavors of the yeast.

Just telling people you made beer from a ball of cat hair might help keep them from nosing around too deep in the beer fridge. Could also use it as an indicator when to cut people off. Anyone answering yes to the question "You want to try a beer I made from cat hair?" probably has had too much to drink already.

Reading up on wasps / hornets and their role in wild yeast. It would be better to mine for yeast out of their guts instead of wrangling your cat dander

Thanks for subscribing! I'm looking forward to what will come out of all this. My stomach does turn a little when I think of the culture source, but my fiance has a cast-iron stomach. She volunteers for the first sniffs and tastes of all the steps.

So far. The smell is bready (yeasty), funky, and slightly lactic. Smells oddly good and sweet. I'm guessing the sweet smell will dwindly as fermentation completes.

I'll be sure to post an update in a week or so when the swimmers settle out and I crash it before collecting the culture. The question for now is how many test propagations I do before I attempt a temperature controlled, drinkable batch.

This needs an article - a well written article, properly punctuated, and grammatically correct article.

...with pictures of course......

I would love to put something like this together. Unfortunately, I have little time to do this and lack experience in writing fetching articles.

If anyone wants to help - I'd gladly collaborate on a more detailed and visually appealing write-up.

<cringe>

There's brewer's yeast - that, you know, you brew with.

And then there's that.

Don't do that. For the love of all that's holy, just don't.

Edit: sorry, this was in response to Auger's post. Yuck.

Thanks for subscribing! I'm looking forward to what will come out of all this. My stomach does turn a little when I think of the culture source, but my fiance has a cast-iron stomach. She volunteers for the first sniffs and tastes of all the steps.

So far. The smell is bready (yeasty), funky, and slightly lactic. Smells oddly good and sweet. I'm guessing the sweet smell will dwindly as fermentation completes.

I'll be sure to post an update in a week or so when the swimmers settle out and I crash it before collecting the culture. The question for now is how many test propagations I do before I attempt a temperature controlled, drinkable batch.

Glad to see all of the jokes have not deterred your project. Cant really comment on how many times to propagate the culture, but I would say enough times so that you would be willing to take the first drink.

If you dont think you could drink it then maybe leave out some wort in your house to see if you can get a spontaneous ferment without direct cat involvement. I would guess the results would be similar. It might makes sense to do it anyway as a control to see if the cats do add anything that dont already exist in house.

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2011/04/ambient-spontaneous-yeast-starters.html

If you are looking to promote the yeast and not the bacteria from your cats spit it seems like keeping your starter cooler might do that. Maybe more frequent feeding would promote the yeast too, I know that works for sour dough bread to make it less sour.

Call it "Cats got your tongue" and while your at it, use cat nip instead of hops in the boil.
Cats are disgusting! &#128572;

For your next project you can culture Deez! :mug:

This is your future. I know this has nothing to do with huffing cat piss, but for the life of me I couldn't get this image out of my head. Thank you for ensuring no more work will get done today.

Kenny_cheesing.png

Latest posts

Back