Coleman 72qt Xtreme small annoying leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frettfreak

Reaction score
So i have a coleman 72qt mash tun and the bulkhead has a small leak. Do you think i just need 1 more silicone seal on the outside? I am considering just buying this: https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/truebulkheadfem.htm if the bulkhead is the issue. it MAY have been the one for a kettle conversion but its been over a year and i cant remember. I just liked the design of this one better than the one made for the cooler so i bought it instead (I know, not smart).

In the pics, i loosened the nut so you can see how i put it together a little better but they were TIGHT and i would get a slow leak out the bottom in the front of the cooler. Really, its manageable, but every time i see it leaking i keep thinking "thats gonna get to the INSIDE of the walls in the tun eventually" and then i have sanitation issues. :mug:

weldless.jpg

mash tun outside.jpg

mash tun inside.jpg

try putting some teflon tape on your threads. Another issue may be you are tightening the nut too much and the seal is actually warping a little. I have had it happen to me before. As long as the seal isn't warped or defective the only place the water could be getting through is your threads. I think the teflon tape will do the trick though.

did you put that plastic piece from the old valve back in the inside? mine leaked before i did that and now it doesn't. and no silicone on mine either.

try putting some teflon tape on your threads. Another issue may be you are tightening the nut too much and the seal is actually warping a little. I have had it happen to me before. As long as the seal isn't warped or defective the only place the water could be getting through is your threads. I think the teflon tape will do the trick though.

There was but i took it off before i took the pic. Could be too tight, but the wall is pretty thin right there. I will try it though and see. Maybe put a bunch more tape on too.

did you put that plastic piece from the old valve back in the inside? mine leaked before i did that and now it doesn't. and no silicone on mine either.

No, that was thrown away a while ago, and i thought about using it when i first did this, but i wasnt sure what it was made of, or if it was ok in water that hot without leaching chemicals into my brew so i opted to pass on it.

I like the washers on the outside of my tun also, gives a little more pressure displacement and rigidness to the wall when you tighten

I like the washers on the outside of my tun also, gives a little more pressure displacement and rigidness to the wall when you tighten

Washer on the outside gasket on the inside? I think I had it like that originally but the gasket kept getting "caught" on the but when I tightened it on the inside. Maybe I will get another gasket.

Washer on the outside gasket on the inside? I think I had it like that originally but the gasket kept getting "caught" on the but when I tightened it on the inside. Maybe I will get another gasket.

Yeah, gasket inside with washer and washer on the outside (I pieced mine together) has worked well so far for me. And LOTS of thread tape.

this is how I did mine

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=17

I have done 50 batches or so without a leak

all the best

S_M

Yeah, gasket inside with washer and washer on the outside (I pieced mine together) has worked well so far for me. And LOTS of thread tape.

With the gasket on the inside, every time i tightened the nut down even hand tight, the gasket would start to tweak.

I ended up doing it the way brew_ny suggested in the link with gasket on the outside and nut to the wall of the cooler inside. Also put a few extra wraps of teflon tape. Have water in now testing, but so far so good. No leaks and its been 45 min. GOnna let it sit all day and will post back!

Thanks for all the help guys! Really appreciate your suggestions! :rockin:

With the gasket on the inside, every time i tightened the nut down even hand tight, the gasket would start to tweak.

I ended up doing it the way brew_ny suggested in the link with gasket on the outside and nut to the wall of the cooler inside. Also put a few extra wraps of teflon tape. Have water in now testing, but so far so good. No leaks and its been 45 min. GOnna let it sit all day and will post back!

Thanks for all the help guys! Really appreciate your suggestions! :rockin:

Whatever it takes to make it work!:mug:

Been sitting there most teh day and nothing. I just hope once its hot water the seal holds. I may heat some up and just put it there and see. Man.... all this time and all i had to do was change the order of some things!! SMH! :ban:

I have one of those and used 3/4 inch rubber grommets on both the inside an outside. Also used a large 3/4 wash and a rubber gasket on the outside which allows me to crank it tight with no leaks. Have put 75+ ten gallon batches through it with no leaks.

Didnt leak all day!! WHOO HOO. Gonna brew a 5 gal batch in a day or so and hopefully it holds with HOT water! :mug:

Thanks for every ones help!!

Back