Cold!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I woke up to -28 celcius (-19 F) today. A cup of coffee and a long dip in the hot tub was nice way to start the day.

We got ice in the bird bath once in Florida...moved to Belize...then Guatemala...spent most of this year in Panama. I have no intention of ever again living anywhere more than 25d N/S of the equator.

I love Belize! We've been there a few times, but we don't ever plan on living there. I especially loved Placencia before a hurricane took most of it in about 2001, but have been back after that and still loved it.

I am interested in Panama, though. Not for relocating right now, as we are attached to our great big dog and young grandsons, but we are talking about Nicaragua or Panama for a long-ish winter visit in the future. I don't think we'll be able to be gone more than about 2.5 months but even if we could go Jan 1- March 15th (ish) that would be fine with me! Bob just doesn't like to leave our house for that long in the winter, even with a neighbor taking care of it.

With this weather, though, maybe it will be easier to talk him into it!

Taking the boy hunting this afternoon. Was 80 yesterday. 40 and drizzly w wind today. Hopefully they'll be moving!

Deacon.

It made it all the way up to 1 above in Minneapolis today. A little early for this kind of cold snap, but not terribly unusual. We have a few inches of snow on the ground now, so that will keep it cold. Winter's starting early.

I love Belize! We've been there a few times, but we don't ever plan on living there. I especially loved Placencia before a hurricane took most of it in about 2001, but have been back after that and still loved it.

I am interested in Panama, though. Not for relocating right now, as we are attached to our great big dog and young grandsons, but we are talking about Nicaragua or Panama for a long-ish winter visit in the future. I don't think we'll be able to be gone more than about 2.5 months but even if we could go Jan 1- March 15th (ish) that would be fine with me! Bob just doesn't like to leave our house for that long in the winter, even with a neighbor taking care of it.

With this weather, though, maybe it will be easier to talk him into it!

Belize is an interesting little country. Lots to see and do in a small area. I still work in the charter industry there occassionally when schedules get tight. Just got back from running a couple of weeks of charters. Never gets below about 60F (over night low after a cold front). Hot and humid most of the time, but with a sea breeze, some shade, and a cold Belikin in your hand still pretty damn pleasant.

Placencia is a fun spot, used to live there...they throw good parties around Xmas/NYE and halloween.

Panama has lots of positives. We've spent a lot of time there over the last 2 years. Sailed the boat down from Guatemala two years ago. Road tripped down from Guatemala this year. Spent some time cruising the Carib coast (Bocas del Toro, San Blas Islands...). The country is very skinny with a central mountain ridge so you can pick your prefered climate based on altitude and still be a relatively short drive to either coast. We rented a small house up in Volcan at about 4,000 feet. Higher than that starts getting rather chilly at night. Just over a 1 hour drive to the Pacific coast and a dramatically scenic 4.5 hour drive over the mountains to the Atlantic coast. Awesome climate in Volcan (pleasant sunny days and cool nights). You can get a good selection of imported beers in Panama too, which is a nice bonus.

Nicaragua we like a lot too. Beautiful Pacific coast, if a bit arid. Way cool places like Isla Ometepe...a volcanic island in Lake Nicaragua. Grenada, the former colonial capital on the N end of Lake Nicaragua is a beautiful place. Leon, also a former colonial seat of power, has lots interesting history and architecture.

My suggestion is pick a spot that sounds interesting to you and find a short term rental there. Not hard to do and rates are reasonable throughout most of the region. Rentals are much easier to find once you are there and get to know a few people. So stay in a hotel etc first. Throughout Central America most folks want to get to know you first, then if they decide you are OK, rental opportunities will open up. Nice thing about renting is you can easily change venues and you have no capital at risk (vs buying).

Belize is on my short list of places to visit.

As an avid surfer I have been to Costa Rica and El Salvador and have always thought about how great it would be to live there. Haven't been to Nicaragua or Panama yet but I'm sure I will get there sooner than later.

For now, I'm ok with the weather in Southern California.

Belize is on my short list of places to visit.

As an avid surfer I have been to Costa Rica and El Salvador and have always thought about how great it would be to live there. Haven't been to Nicaragua or Panama yet but I'm sure I will get there sooner than later.

For now, I'm ok with the weather in Southern California.

Well Southern Cali aint so bad. If you get back to El Salvador check out a little surfing town called El Tunco. There is a nano brewery there called Brew Revolution and right next door Hotel Mopelia serves up a broad range of very well chosen imports. Cool little town with great beer.

No surfing in Belize but world class SCUBA and snorkelling.

Yah southern CA has it's good points for sure. There are negatives but for me the positives outweigh them in large scale (like the fact that I'm planning my 3rd New Years at the stone brewery!).

Thanks for the recommendation. When I was in El Salvador it was still highly advised that you take a guided trip or you might find trouble. We went with a reputable surf camp and because of that, we didn't really do much other than surf and hang out the house and surrounding houses. Next time will be different for sure! It seems like the travel advisory is less intense in the last 5 years or so. And I'm more of a seasoned traveller these days.

I know there's no surfing in Belize. Too bad really. I'll will plan that as a trip with the girlfriend. She would appreciate the sights. Snorkeling the reef would just be amazing. Seeing some ruins would be pretty great too.

Well Southern Cali aint so bad. If you get back to El Salvador check out a little surfing town called El Tunco. There is a nano brewery there called Brew Revolution and right next door Hotel Mopelia serves up a broad range of very well chosen imports. Cool little town with great beer.

No surfing in Belize but world class SCUBA and snorkelling.

I started this thread and I'm going to finish it! It's the worst ice storm I've ever seen here in north Texas! 3 to 4 inches of ice and sleet and it won't thaw out! If I don't ever see it again it would be to soon!!!

I started this thread and I'm going to finish it! It's the worst ice storm I've ever seen here in north Texas! 3 to 4 inches of ice and sleet and it won't thaw out! If I don't ever see it again it would be to soon!!!

I used to live in Dallas and remember those ugly annual ice storms. Had charter guests recently who flew out from DFW and had significant weather delays. If you stay in N Texas, "too soon" will likely come by Feb!

In contrast, I was in Guatemala City last week, it got down into the mid 50Fs (overnight low)...I was freezing! ;-)

Was in n Idaho this past week. Got to put about 15 miles in this bad boy!!!

image-3419760205.jpg

Back