Cold steeping coffee in stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSomeMore

Reaction score
I have a keg of whiskey rye stout I want to cold steep coffee with a mesh bag. How much, coarse or whole bean, what kind of coffee and how long to steep? I have Guatamalan french roast and organic Sumatra medium- dark roast on hand. Thanks.

Good thread. Thanks. The Guatamalan beans are older, but darker roast. The Sumatra beans are fresher but less roast. Tough desicions. I guess I will crack beans with rolling pin and add about 6-8oz into keg.

I'd make a small amount of cold-brew with each and test to see which flavor you like better, if you feel like spending the time to do it.

To my palette Sumatran is much more chocolatey and Imo more suited to a stout.

I went with the Sumatra, the beans smelled intense when i opened the canister so that is why I added less than 6-8oz and using 4oz. Crushed with a rolling pin, boy did it smell good. Seems like it will go good with stout adding emphases on the chocolate and some earthiness. Will sample in couple of days cold steeping at 37F.

So after 3 days of cold steeping i sampled the stout and there was a good amount of coffee flavor. There was some green pepper flavor when i first tried it but once i removed the mesh bag of coffee it went away. Sumatra definitely adds some earthiness and chocolate to the stout which complements it, not harsh by any means. My take away from this experiment would be use 4-6oz and cold steep 3-4 days max at 37F.

Cold-steeped coffee concentrate is another great way to flavor your beer, and allows excellent control. Easy to make too.

I used fresh roasted whole beans in the keg with great success. I went with 6oz in a mesh hop bag and in about 36 hours the beer had a fantastic smooth coffee taste.

Back