Cold press coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breweringbeaz

Reaction score
What's the best suggestion for coffee to water ratio for cold pressing. I'm planning on adding it at kegging. I want very little water going into the keg (don't want to change the abv or water down the beer).

Try 4 oz coffee to 2 cups boiled and cooled water. My last mocha stout I did 8 oz coffee in secondary and it took forever to mellow out. It depends on the coffee. A lot of people use Kona since it is smoother and mellower. You might also just try adding a little at a time to your bottling bucket until you get the flavor you want.

Try 4 oz coffee to 2 cups boiled and cooled water. My last mocha stout I did 8 oz coffee in secondary and it took forever to mellow out. It depends on the coffee. A lot of people use Kona since it is smoother and mellower. You might also just try adding a little at a time to your bottling bucket until you get the flavor you want.

+1 for adding a little at a time till you get what you want.

When I did my breakfast stout, I had two coffee additions. 2 oz at flameout and 2 oz into secondary. 4oz total sounds about right. My addition was split because that's what my friend's recipe said, and it turned out great.

I know this will sound like a travesty, but I took ground espresso and put it in a MyKCup and stuck it in my Keurig.

Did 8 oz, cooled it down in the fridge and added it to my secondary (split batch of 3 gallons of chocolate oatmeal stout). Was probably the best beer I've ever made.

I buy 32 oz of cold pressed coffee concentrate from Whole Foods and add the whole thing to 5 gal at bottling. I used Yooper's Oatmeal Stout recipe and it came out great. Lots of coffee flavor with no off flavors that come from a poorly brewed coffee. Of course a lot of people want to brew the coffee themselves for obvious reasons. I like the thought of concentrate (less water).

I just bottled a coffee porter today and I am hoping it mellows out in the bottle. I bought it as a beer in a box kit that had everything in it. It said add coffee to taste, which I just added all the coffee I made. Right now all I can taste is bitter coffee masking what was tasting like a good porter. The cold brew coffee was 6oz of coarse ground coffee with 6 cups of water. Let sit for 12-24 hours in fridge.

Don't do what I just did and add all the coffee at once. Add a little at a time and taste it.

Redneck, the coffee flavor will mellow. I had the same thing happen with mine. Took about 4 months to mellow out. My next batch I will do the "a bit at a time" method.

Latest posts

Back