Cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diptherunner

Reaction score
Hey all. I have an ipa that is just about done dry hoping, and after several batches, I finally feel as though I have some idea of what I doing. ( sort of). I'd like to cold crash this before I bottle and prime. The outside temp is ideal for it right now, so it should be easy to do. My question is, if cold crashing settles everything out, how is there yeast left for priming and carbing? And, aside from freezing, is there any temp range that is ideal? Does it need to come back up to temp before bottling? Does it matter that I already transferred Tina secondary for dry hopping? Thanks, I am always appreciative of this wisdom and support of this board!

stick it outside for a day or two....just above freezing is fine ( 35 or so I guess but really anything good and cold) ) .. then bottle it cold. There will be plenty of yeast to bottle condition. no need to warm it back up or add yeast....transferring to secondary doesn't matter.once it is in the bottles set it someplace about 70 degrees for three weeks. then put it back in the fridge and enjoy

"My question is, if cold crashing settles everything out, how is there yeast left for priming and carbing? "

Cold crashing doesn't settle everything out. It settles "most" things out. The bigger/heavier things settle faster. That means most of the "gunk" and some of the yeast will drop out, but you will still have plenty of yeast in suspension.

Yea I had the same concern first time I cold crashed. I was making my first lager so it had been fermenting for a looooong time, and it was so clear by the time I went to cold crash it that I figured I was screwed and no yeast was left in suspension. BUT fortunately there was, cold crashed for about a day then bottled. Carbed up real nice after about two weeks.

Back