Cold crashing then bottleing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsbrothers

Reaction score
I have a few experiment batches of cider going there are where i want them now flavorwise so i want to cold crash them for a day and slow the fermentation. After my cold crash i want the them bottle and carb them now i have half gallon batches and need to know how much priming sugar per half gallon batch i need to then carb with.

You do know that the yeast will start back up again as soon as the bottles warm up. Have you read about pasteurizing in the bottle?

Am I understanding correctly that you want semi-dry (with a little sweetness) sparkling cider that is conditioned/carbonated in the bottle?

If so, have you thought through two issues:

1) will the cold crashing drop the yeast out of suspension, so that when you go to bottle, will there be sufficient yeast to carbonate the cider?

2) if the bottles do carbonate, if the cider is semi-dry and has apple sugars present, how are you going to stop the fermentation before you end up with schrapnel?

As for priming solutions, I use 2/3 cup of cane sugar in 2 cups of boiling water, for a five gallon batch. You can scale that ratio up or down, depending on batch size. I often do half-batches of 2.5 gallons, and use 1/3 cup cane sugar.

I have a few experiment batches of cider going there are where i want them now flavorwise so i want to cold crash them for a day and slow the fermentation. After my cold crash i want the them bottle and carb them now i have half gallon batches and need to know how much priming sugar per half gallon batch i need to then carb with.

Cold crashing is done after fermentation is complete to drop the yeast out of suspension faster and help it clear. You don't want to do this before it's done because you'll be leaving an undetermined amount of sugar and won't know how much to prime with. There should still be enough yeast in suspension after a couple days of cold crashing to prime and carb up the bottle, but don't cold crash it until it's done with the initial fermentation.

I've never done a cider, but I think there are other additives/techniques used for stopping fermentation, and I think it's a matter of killing the yeast (which you wouldn't want to do if you're planning to naturally carb in the bottle).

Yes it was in primary for 10 days and pretty much completely settled down i dont recal the specific SG reading right now being i am at work but the primary is done and i moved to secondary but i actually enjoyed the flavors it had and dont want it to dry out anymore and i WILL NOT backsweeten this batch its kinda what i was going for.

Latest posts

Back