Cold Crashing temp and duration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoomGoestheTNT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thinking of cold crashing this latest batch of pale ale in my garage. Outside temp is a mild 55 during the day and high 30s/low 40s at night (sorry east coasters). Wondering if those temps are cold enough to drop anything out of this brew. Also interested in thoughts on minimum time to crash at these temps. Thinking this may not be worth the trouble until I can refrigerate to crash. Planning on bottling this batch.

when I cold crash, I set my chest freezer to like 10 C which is 50 F for about a day. it definitely helps to compact hops/yeast. I would say go for it, I think it will at least help the process start.

Anything is better than nothing...I'd give it a few days. Theres nothing good tasting floating around in a beer (yeast hops) The more you get out the better

So, sort of related. IPA I did I racked to secondary being careful to avoid all the trub in the bottom. Cold crashed in secondary and had about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of yeast in bottom. Gives you an idea how much stays in solution and how much you're clearing out by crashing.

Drop my temp to 50F.
Add gelatin.
Drop my temp to ~34F for 2-3 days.

That said, it'll probably help some at those temps. It'd definietly won't hurt.

Back