Cold crashing in glass secondary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monday30

Reaction score
Ok, I watched this video the other day of a guy that had cold crashed his beer in his plastic secondary and the sealed fermenter collapsed. My question is, if I try and cold crash in my glass secondary is there any risk of my glass carboy breaking or cracking?

Chances are very slim, depends on which airlock you have. In the video you saw the guy had a one way check valve designed specifically to not let any air no matter what. If you have the 3 piece airlock it will just suck the liquid from the airlock into the beer (unless you get some sort of miracle clog) The best thing to use is the one piece S shaped airlocks, if filled properly they work in both directions, so as your beer cools it's able to suck air in without sucking the liquid out of the airlock. You will also tend to get less suction if your carboy is filled as much as possible, like an inch or two from the bung.

Thanks Blitz, now that you have answered that one, since it is sucking in air is there any chance of infection. My main goal was to eliminate as much yeast as possible so I get clearer beer and I don't lose the first couple beers out of my keg due to trub taste.

Just use an S-airlock with StarSan or vodka in it.

This...^^^
I change out my three piece air locks after fermentation and use a S-Airlock before cold crashing.

Or a long blow off tube... Mine is about 2.5 feet long, and it has sucked back starsan from the jar during cold crash, but never enough to empty the jar(then sucking air), or have the starsan reach all the way up the tube and to the bucket.

Yeah starsan is definately the way to go, that way any air that gets into the fermenter will have at least passed through the starsan first. Just remember not to put more liquid in the airlock than can fit into ONE of the bulbs and you will be golden. Never tried the cotton before, guess it would work the same as with a yeast starter sponge.

Thanks for all the input! I will try my next batch that I keg and will update on my progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you put a solid stopper in the carboy, yes, there is a chance to destroy your glass carboy. The pressures inside and out will be quite different. Use an S type airlock for cover the mouth with foil.

Latest posts

Back