Cold Crashing Carbed Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EODtony

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got my first batch fermenting right now and have a few question about bottling. I'm looking to make a semi-dry cider. I'm planning on racking what I got at 1.025 SG, letting it ferment down then bottling at 1.018 SG and letting it carb up. So here is where my question lies. Can I cold crash all the individual bottles in a ice water & salt bath (thinking about 35 degrees) for a few days and have them be shelf stable? Or do I absolutely need to pasteurize to get them to be shelf stable? I don't have enough fridge space so I need another way to store these, and I don't want to use chemicals.

BTW...I'm using WLP002 English Ale Yeast.

I've got my first batch fermenting right now and have a few question about bottling. I'm looking to make a semi-dry cider. I'm planning on racking what I got at 1.025 SG, letting it ferment down then bottling at 1.018 SG and letting it carb up. So here is where my question lies. Can I cold crash all the individual bottles in a ice water & salt bath (thinking about 35 degrees) for a few days and have them be shelf stable? Or do I absolutely need to pasteurize to get them to be shelf stable? I don't have enough fridge space so I need another way to store these, and I don't want to use chemicals.

BTW...I'm using WLP002 English Ale Yeast.

Well seeing as you can freeze yeast and then re-use it I'd say you run the risk of making a few poppers unless you heat pasteurize.

Wlp0002 can go pretty high, some of the reviews make big (9%+) beers with it. If you don't heat pasteurize or chemical stabilize-force carb, the cider will not be shelf stable.

Back