Cold Crashing / Aging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayf19

Reaction score
I have a keezer that I intend to use for cold crashing / aging my beer.

The questions I have are the following:
a) Should I keep the keezer at 35-40F and have the same temp for crashing and aging my beers?
b) Should I alternate the temperatures from crashing 35F to cellaring 50F? Which would mean a single beer could be subject to more than 1 cold crashing cycle.
c) Should I do something else than a) & b)?

Thanks!!

I've always aged in my basement (wherever I've lived). In New England those typically range from the low 50's to mid 60's (F) year round. If I lived someplace where that wasn't the case, and still have brews I wanted to age (either beer or mead), I'd make a chamber specific for the task that had the storage capacity needed. Build it similarly to a fermentation chamber (mini fridge for the cooling side) and let it go at that.

BTW, my current fermentation chamber (first one I've built) has both a lid for the top and a hatch at the end. It allows me to move my fermenters into it easily (no high lifting) and shift just as easily (going from above). A pair of gas springs are connected to the lid to make holding it open easy (and not too much obstruction for access).

"Aging" is an ambiguous term, the question is what is the goal.

For lagers where it's mostly a clarity/crispness thing, I'd go with the 34°F with a 2°F differential I use for my dispensing keezer.
Otoh, most well-brewed ales don't benefit from aging, and for the ones that will (typically big beers) they'll "age" better at cellar temperatures (somewhere in the vicinity of 55°F) than sitting essentially in stasis at lagering temperatures.

Cheers!

"Aging" is an ambiguous term, the question is what is the goal.

For lagers where it's mostly a clarity/crispness thing, I'd go with the 34°F with a 2°F differential I use for my dispensing keezer.
Otoh, most well-brewed ales don't benefit from aging, and for the ones that will (typically big beers) they'll "age" better at cellar temperatures (somewhere in the vicinity of 55°F) than sitting essentially in stasis at lagering temperatures.

Cheers!

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I might have a "cold room" in my basement that should be in the mid 50°F's (at least during winter) which I could use for cellaring.

I put a thermometer this morning, I'll see what it looks like this evening.

Back