Cold crashin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcj2

Reaction score
Would cold crashing before bottling cause the beer to settle more and if I did that would it cause the beer to condition slower in the bottles?

Cold crashing will help settle out more particulate matter in your beer. So yes, it will settle and be clearer. And there will beer plenty of yeast in solution for your beer to carb normally even after cold crashing.

Trust me, I'm typing this from the bathroom. I wouldn't lie.

So would you say that cold crashing would be a good idea before bottling and what would be a good temp for cold crashing

yes, a great idea before bottling it will help your bottles clear faster as well.

ideal temp? as cold as you can hold your beer without freezing it for as long as you can. 24 hours is okay, 72 is better. two weeks at 40 or lower would be very good.

the cold temperatures put the yeast into hibernation, they stop swimming and drop to the bottom into the trub.

in the winter I sometimes just put my fermenting buckets in the garage for a few days, works fine.

Latest posts

Back