Cold crashed cider at low FG, safe at room temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambrozyne

Reaction score
Hi you all at HBT,
My first post here though I've been hanging round for the last couple of weeks. Very impressed by this forum so decided to lay my question before you.
I Made my first 1 gal. batch of cider using pasteurized storebought juice, sugar and premier cuve yeast. Also added some tannin powder and acid blend. First reading of OG was at a staggering 1100 so added water until it reached an acceptable 1080. Pitched yeast and kept it in primary fermentation for 7 days. Fermentation had by then slowed considerably so I decided to take a reading. I was surprised to find FG at 998 already. I decided to bottle the very clouded concoction and store it cold to clear it up. I had little hope for it to clear up as I had mistakenly heated the juice to dissolve the sugar. But after one night in the fridge it had a great color and wonderfull clearness. Even the taste was pretty good for such a young cider. Fresh, crisp and just a little tart. I prefer dry wines over sweet ones any time. My question is this: I want to make room in the fridge and store the bottles at room temp. Do you reckon it is safe to do so as the FG is as low as 998? There must be insufficient sugars left for the yeast to wake up and dine on, or am I mistaken? Don' t want glass and cider all over the kitchen floor...
Thanks for replying!

The FG would probably go to .990 although it could stop higher. That might not cause bottle bombs, but it could. It will either be VERY carbonated or explosive, depending on where it actually does stop when it's warmed up.

Yooper, thanks!
Really, it might go as low as that? Then I' d better keep as eye on those bottles out of the fridge. Is there any harm in very carefully opening the (ankertop) bottles now and then to check for pressure and to let off excess pressure? I Did so with one of the cold bottles in the fridge and it gave a very modest hiss. When they warm up pressure might build up considerably again I understand.

Back