Cold Crashed and Under carbed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EHV

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Mr. Beer American Light in the LBK.
I allowed three weeks for fermentation and then bottled with 1 1/2 tsp per bottle of granulated sugar in 22oz bottles. Bottle conditioned for 3 weeks at 70 degrees and then placed in fridge for a few days. Both bottles I opened had very little carbonation.

I coldcrashed this batch for clarity and to try to get as clean a bottle as possible without the excess trub from the barrel. After cold crashing are you supposed to allow the beer to come back to room temperature? I bottled this cold from the fridge. Was there not enough yeast to carb or do I have to allow longer times for carbing due to crashing the beer?

I find I usually have to wait longer when cold crashing and using gelatin.

Also, I noticed you said you added sugar to each bottle. You don't want to do that. Boil the total amount in a little water and add that to your bottling bucket.

Are you using the PET bottles that come with Mr. Beer? You might not have a good seal and are leaking out the CO2. Tighten the caps a bit more.

There should be plenty of yeast left for carbonation after cold crashing, so no problem there.
I usually bottle 3 22ozers along with my usual 12ozers. The big boys take longer to carbonate, which makes sense as they have almost twice as much volume. Expect more like 5-6 weeks rather than the usual 3.

I'm getting around to getting a bottling bucket as I am starting to realize its advantages, however, I did add per bottle.
I used the 22oz glasses bottles from Northern Brewer. I will give them some more time to condition. Will inverting them for a day then standing upright again help?

let them warm up a bit to about 40 degress then crack one open. On some of mine if I open them at say 30-32 not much carb. when they warm a bit there is plenty

I will try that as well when the time comes dood. The beer was actually decent enough to open another 22oz to try it some more, plus curious, but the same effect. I'm not particular so its not saying much.

Latest posts

Back