Cold crashed and partially carbed, help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorforty

Reaction score
Guys,

Just bottling my Black IPA tonight, and I think I screwed up.

It was in the primary for 3 weeks, locked at 66 deg. I didn't take gravity readings but assumed it was done...and it's been cold crashing for 4 days.

When I cold crashed, I put a SOLID stopper, not an airlock...and the beer is very slightly carbed now.

This is the best batch for me so far...it's now sitting at 1.011 which is below the expected finish. The hydrometer test jar sample was delicious, my best beer yet. I don't wanna mess it up.

- Do I just prime and bottle like normal? Use less DME?

Thanks,

Ron

Prime and bottle my man. Or woman, I'm not sure what gender you are. I know a woman named Ronnie. And ins a few weeks enjoy your delicious beer. I never worry about my beers finishing lower than expected. Most fermented beverages have a certain amount of co2 infused in it even when it has an airlock on it

It's fine. Colder temperatures hold onto c02 better, so it seems bubbly but since it was fermented out at a warmer temperature it won't be an issue at all.

Use .75-1 ounce of corn sugar per gallon of finished beer.

Prime and bottle as normal. By the time you rack it, any possible extra CO2 (due to slight pressure) will have offgassed.

Yooper gives the perfect rule of thumb. If you are trying to hit an exact level of CO2, use a priming sugar calculator like the one in my sig.

Prime and bottle as normal. By the time you rack it, any possible extra CO2 (due to slight pressure) will have offgassed.

Yooper gives the perfect rule of thumb. If you are trying to hit an exact level of CO2, use a priming sugar calculator like the one in my sig.

+1. And measure the priming sugar by weight, not volume.

Since you're priming cold beer, give it a VERY gentle stir with a sanitized spoon to evenly distribute the sugar.

Back