Cold Crash Too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr1nkBeer

Reaction score
Is there a "too cold" for cold crashing temps... obviously you dont want to freeze it... so above 32 degree mark I suppose will work. I've cold crashed for a 5 days I also used some gelatine finning in the secondary (brought it up to just before boiling, cooled it and added)... beer is still very very cloudy... fridge is set to 33.5... and internal thermometers are confirming the temps are right on. I pulled 3 pints...

Brew Details:
All Grain 10 lbs. Wyermann pale ale... dough in at 149-150 degrees.. fly sparged at 175... yeast is WLP001.

The closest you can get to freezing without freezing.

Depends on the alcohol content, but not sure exactly what the freezing temp of beer is.

It's got to be below 32 degrees, so that's the temperature I shoot for.

still didnt clear... maybe experiencing a bit of chill haze.. but it tasted fine...

Sounds like your beer is already in the keg?

Cold Crashing is dropping the temperature to help clear your beer BEFORE transfering to bottle or keg. You can do it in the primary or secondary (or both), but once it's in a serving vessel all your doing is chilling it. Sure, stuff will still drop to the bottom, but the point of cold crashing is to keep it out of there to begin with.

Oh yeah, IMO. :cross:

Latest posts

Back