Cold crash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopWolf

Reaction score
Hello all, I just dry hopped my Pliny clone with weighted down hop bags that still floated, duh!, not enough weight so my question is
Should I remove the hop bags before cold crashing or just leave them in?
Out of the boil kettle there was a ton of trub and a nice looking yeast cake after the primary and I planned on those dry hop bags settling to the bottom and stay there before crashing and bottling.
Any suggestions?

Yep, I've had the bags float after adding a couple of sanitized marbles. They did sink after a couple days though.
Leave in or take out doesn't matter too much, depending on the length of time you plan on dryhopping, then cold crashing, which can happen at the same time. Me, I usually plan on dryhopping for 1 week, and do my coldcrash in the last 3 days prior to bottling. If you are forced by life circumstances to wait more than 1 week, then I would remove the bags.

yea, leave em in there. I always leave mine in for cold crashing then just rack the beer off of the hops. No chance to aerate the beer or introduce any nasties in there by leaving it be.

Actually tried to get them out and couldn't as I only used three small bags with 5oz of hops.
Seconday is now sitting in a large bucket of ice and plan on bottling tomorrow night

I'll let you'll know how it turns out as it still smells awesome

Actually tried to get them out and couldn't as I only used three small bags with 5oz of hops.
Seconday is now sitting in a large bucket of ice and plan on bottling tomorrow night

I'll let you'll know how it turns out as it still smells awesome

Latest posts

Back