Cold Crash in the Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownyard

Reaction score
I don't have room to cold crash the fermenter for my next batch, Dead Ringer IPA, so I was going to go straight to the keg, and cold crash it. I usually force carb, so to my understanding (after a ton of reading), my best plan of action would be to transfer to keg, refrigerate at low pressure (2 to 3lbs) for a day or two, then tap a glass or two to clear out the sediment, then force carb. I usually use the "roll/shake method", but I figured without tapping some of the sediment first, it would be pretty useless to cold crash for clearing, as it would all just end up suspended again. I guess I could do set and forget, or burst carb for a couple of days instead. What do you guys do?

I transfer almost all of my beers from fermentor to keg then chill/crash. I do the set and forget approach and only lose about a pint to sediment. If you use a fairly flocculant yeast most has dropped out before transfer. I also bag my hops for IPAs and hoppy beers.

I would not use low pressure initially I would use the expected serving pressure. You can also use a higher pressure initially to get it carbonated faster, 30psi for 12 to 24hr, but you need to be careful to not over do it(I tend to forget I have it hooked up). Some times if I am in a hurry I will charge to 30psi then reconnect the serving pressure and do that a few times a day. You can still over do it but it is easier to control

Back