Cold crash after diacetyl rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaltG

Reaction score
Nice and slow, yeast still got work to do

Or

Crash hard and kill em all

Im by no means an expert, but my belief/understanding is that the beer can be crashed in most cases as soon as FG is reached and any needed/wanted clean up/diacetyl rest is done. Sometimes you don't even want it to clean up too much. To me it seems like my beer usually reaches FG in 4-5 days. But it may vary depending on the brew I guess.

Cold crashing doesn't kill yeast (maybe you meant that figuratively). But for what it's worth, after fermentation is finished, I go straight from fermentation temp to crash temp, with no steps or ramps in between.

It's a German Pils.
Im by no means an expert, but my belief/understanding is that the beer can be crashed in most cases as soon as FG is reached and any needed/wanted clean up/diacetyl rest is done. Sometimes you don't even want it to clean up too much. To me it seems like my beer usually reaches FG in 4-5 days. But it may vary depending on the brew I guess.

I'm in the "lower 3°F per day" camp. There are numerous arguments across other threads about this, but I'm of the opinion that just because a beer has hit it's FG, the yeast isn't done. To me, there's still some cleanup to do, and I've read things that suggest a fast temp drop could cause the yeast to go dormant (not dead) and not clean up after themselves. I, personally, generally have the time, so I play it conservatively and do it - easier not worry about it.

Back