Cold Conditioning Oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkbarnes82

Reaction score
Recently I was scrambling for airlocks while an IPA had a explosive fermentation. Anyway I took an airlock off a cold conditioning(35f) lager and replaced it within a minute but I'm concerned I may have oxidized the beer now that its not actively producing CO2 during its cold conditioning phase.

Thoughts?

Recently I was scrambling for airlocks while an IPA had a explosive fermentation. Anyway I took an airlock off a cold conditioning(35f) lager and replaced it within a minute but I'm concerned I may have oxidized the beer now that its not actively producing CO2 during its cold conditioning phase.

Thoughts?

No, you won't oxidize it like that. You can even take the airlock off completely, and just cover the opening with sanitized foil and keep it that way. You definitely don't want to leave it open for long, or to splash it, but a tiny amount of time without an airlock will do no harm.

Latest posts

Back