Cold Conditioning Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhead

Reaction score
i searched the site and found where there was mention of cold condition your ale b4 bottling. here's my scenario:

i have an esb i have "cold conditioned" now for a couple of days. before bottling the batch should i

>let it warm up then bottle normally?

>stir it gently to get the yeast back into suspension?

>add dry yeast to the bottling bucket then bottle nornally?

>rack deep to the bottom of the carboy and strain that through my funnel seive into the bottling bucket.

much appreciated

None of the above!

Cold conditioning (also called lagering) should be done for several weeks. A few days won't do much.

There's sufficient active yeast suspended in the beer even after weeks of lagering to do your cabonation, so no additional yeast is required.

so if you are cold conditioning it is okay to leave the beer sitting on the cake for several weeks?

You'd rack it to a secondary fermenter before doing any long-term aging. Might prove to be a non-issue, but why take the chance of getting off-flavors from the yeast?

EDIT: The time on the server appears to have changed; this is in response to OldManK below.

Back