Cold condition vs carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2BeerOrNot2Beer

Reaction score
Hey there everyone,

Would there be any benefit to letting a beer cold condition in the fridge for a week or 2 prior to attaching the co2? Or would carbonating it in the fridge from the start have the same effect, and just lead to a more quickly carbonated beer? Basically, does carbonation have any negative or delayed effect on the cold conditioning process?

Thanks,
Jake

Funny I just listened to a brew strong episode where JZ and Palmer both said they put their kegs in the fridge and carb at the same time. Now major effects to conditioning prior to carbing. I slowly cool my beer down in my fermentation chamber before racking it to the keg. That way it's already around fridge temp. Then I put it in and hook up the gas. A week later, good cold, carbed, beer. I don't care to wait an extra 2 weeks to cold condition it when that happens while its getting carbed.

I always wondered if it made a difference. I was never able to find a definitive answer. So I just rack my beer into my keg and bleed off. Then I put it in the keezer overnight to chill and hook the gas up the next day at 10 psi. In two weeks I have delicious, perfectly carbed beer. I only make ales so I'm not sure if this will work for lagers.

Back