Cold brew : Micron rating for bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LitBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone here brew cold brew at home or professionally?

I brew in a 5 gallon bucket, and have been using these : Amazon.com: 50 PACK Commercial Cold Brew Coffee Filters, Brew Up To 5 LBS Coffee, 20" x 20" Fits 5 GALLON Commercial Cold Brew Systems: Home & Kitchen

They work well but they are not reusable, so i was looking at a reusable bag here: The Brew Bag® for Coffee, Tea, Juices, Infusion, Cheese - 55 - 75 - 150 Micron

They recommend the 55 micron bag for cold brew, I guess i'm wondering if I'm going to get more 'silt' with this bag or less vs what I have been using. Anyone have experience with this?

I use a 74 micron stainless mesh filter for my cold brew. It works well with coarse grind coffee. There is a little bit of sediment in the bottom of my brew kettle after I drain the kettle. I think if you used the 43 or 55 micron filter it might drain too slowly and your render ratio my be less than expected.

I am currently using a stainless brew kettle with the drain about 3/4 inch from bottom of kettle, this allows for holding the super fine sediment in the kettle while draining liquid. Works for now. Just bought a new brew kettle and I will be doing some experimenting soon.

Back