Cold break or over mashed/boiled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nocsimian

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just did my first AG batch with BIAB technique. Since I used Pilsner Malt, I mashed for 90 minutes and boiled for 90 minutes with the intent on getting as much DMS out of the batch as possible.

I chilled it down to 90 degrees in about 20 minutes and had a significant amount of what I assume are proteins in the wort. If you ever tried to make ice cream with a custard and didn't temper your eggs, you'll have an idea of what it looked liked. Is this cold break or a byproduct of the longer schedule?

I use a racking cane to transfer the wort and picked up a good bit of these proteins into my primary. I figure it'll eventually fall out of suspension and collect as trub but got to thinking that it might have been a good idea to filter it out during transfer. Perhaps a hop bag at the end of the racking cane would do it. Thoughts?

It's perfect, you did an awesome job. You will also have this drop out very quickly in the fermentation.

Good food for the yeasties as well.

If you want to separate more trub, whirlpool the chilled wort (with a pump or spoon or something) then WALK AWAY. Let it sit for 20+mins to completely settle.

I wouldn't try to use any kind of filter or hop bag, etc. The small amount of tubr you might filter is not worth the risk of contamination at this point.

Back