Cold-break material in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StophJS

Reaction score
This question is just about cold break material. The last batch I did which is currently in primary, I handled a little bit differently in that the top off water I dumped the wort into had been refrigerated rather than left to sit at room temp. When I took my gravity reading after this, I could even see a fair amount of cold break material in my sample tube.

This is the first time I've ever gotten visible cold break material in this way, and I'm wondering, how well can I expect this to have compacted in with the rest of the trub in 3 weeks? I usually just primary for 3 weeks and bottle, and am hoping that I don't have a big, loose mess the bottom of my bucket on bottling day.

I know that most people who use an IC for example have their cold break occur in the kettle rather than the fermenter, so they can simply leave most of this material behind.

It'll drop and compact with the rest of the trub. Don't sweat it. If you can cold crash that'll make it even more compact.

I use an IC and I still transfer it all over to the fermentor. In my experience, it doesn't really get "compacted" until 4-6 weeks, but after 3 you can rack off of it if you're careful. Regardless, it will settle out.

I just haven't been able to get the "whirlpool" to work for me. I thought I had a good one going but have yet to see the "cone of trub/hops" I've heard described.

Back