Cold break material -how little is too little..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
Did a SMaSH AG brew Sunday.

It seemed like there was little cold break material, or it was very small lumps, not the larger amount I thought I had seen in past (have been on brewing hiatus last 6-8 mos).

IF there was less cold break material, what would that indicate?

For ref.: SMaSH, with M.O. / Cascade hop pellets, textbook 60 mins. boil, IC cooling.
Fermentation is going well.

I would think that the amount of cold break can vary from beer to beer. The cold break is made up of proteins so depending on the malts you use, that could have an effect. However, I'm not 100% sure tho.....

Having less cold break could also indicate not cooling it fast enough to thermally shock those proteins. The only way to really tell if you are getting a good cold break is in the finished product and if there is any chill haze.

Are you using any Irish Moss or Whirlfloc? That helps with getting a good break.

Nope, no Irish Moss, or Whirlfloc but I was planning on using them...!

My whirlpooling technique is not very good; I seem to stir UP a lot of particles, the small ones I had, apparently.

BTW, I take long romantic walks on the beach with my honey, and I do see some Irish moss laying around... it is tempting to grab some and brew with it!

Back