Cold beer bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konadog

Bird Call Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked many times, but I can't get the search to show me what I want.

Does it make a difference if the beer is cold when you bottle? I'm carbonating in the bottle using priming sugar. This is the first time I have been able to cold crash (new chest freezer).

Not at all. You calculate using the highest temp you reached during fermentation. Anything after that point is moot.

Thanks, I knew the priming sugar stayed the same, just wasn't sure if the beer needed to be above a certain temp before bottling.

Bottled up 50 bottles without issue other than my capper giving up at bottle 45. :(

you'll just need to make sure to store them warm enough to carbonate...3 weeks at 70° seems to be the rule of thumb everybody around here defaults to.

The beer has to be warm for the bottle conditioning to produce carbonation. I've never tested the idea of bottling cold, don't know if it would cause a problem, but other than the time waiting for the beer to reach room temperature, there's no advantage to bottling cold.

I bottle cold all the time since I cold crash for clarity. The beer will warm up eventually and the yeast will activate again once warm. It might just take an extra 24 hours or so but it will happen.

I know I still have to condition warm, my question was if it made a difference if the beer is cold when I bottle.

I have since found a few threads that talked about this, and the conciseness is it makes no difference if the beer is cold when put into the bottles. Just do everything as normal.

This was the first time I have bottled after cold crashing (new freezer) and wasn't sure. I can say that it's the first time the bottles looked clear after bottling, and only expect a small dusting of yeast when done, not the usual pile of yeast with some hop flakes.

Back