Coke corny kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewcrew86

Reaction score
I submitted this under equipment and have not gotten too many responses to I thought I would try it here.

I have an opportunity to buy an old coca cola corny keg. He said it has not been used since working there. He said he'd sell it for $15.

Is it worth it? If so, how much money am I going to have to put into it to get it working? I'm sure new gaskets and maybe cleaning the dip tube...thats what I read while searching on hbt anyway.

Yup, $15 is a great price for a corny keg. They usually retail between $30-45 used. New seals can be had for under $5. Keg lube is a good idea too to eliminate CO2 leaks. Give it a good soaking in oxy clean over night. Then rinse it out really good. Some Star san before using (no rinse) and you're ready for beer.

If it's a coke keg it will have pin lock fittings and will likely not have a pressure relief ring. You can still relieve pressure by pushing on the pin lock fittings though, just not quite as easy as the Pepsi kegs. Also coke kegs are shorter but larger diameter than the pepsi kegs, so check your fridge dimensions.

^what he said

The seals are verrrryyy easy to change. I had to buy a deep well socket for $5 and there is someone selling o-ring kits with free shipping for under $3 on ebay.

Do you have any other kegging equipment? If not, you need to decide whether you want to get set up for pin lock (coke kegs) or ball lock (pepsi kegs). The quick disconnect fittings are not interchangeable. IMHO, you are better off going with ball lock. If nothing else just for the manual pressure relief valve. However, it's completely up to you which route to take. In any case, $15 is a great price for a keg. Go ahead and buy it and if you end up not using it, you'll have no problem selling it and making a few bucks on the deal.

Do you have any other kegging equipment? If not, you need to decide whether you want to get set up for pin lock (coke kegs) or ball lock (pepsi kegs). The quick disconnect fittings are not interchangeable. IMHO, you are better off going with ball lock. If nothing else just for the manual pressure relief valve. However, it's completely up to you which route to take. In any case, $15 is a great price for a keg. Go ahead and buy it and if you end up not using it, you'll have no problem selling it and making a few bucks on the deal.
While most of my kegs are ball locks, I have four pin locks. It's easy enough to depress the gas in to relieve pressure. Biggest pain is altering the altering the deep socket to fit the pins. Would have been much easier if I had a dremmel at the time. Using a round file took a while.

If he ever adds some ball locks down the road, he can always add some barb adapters to the lines, and it's easy enough to change between ball and pin locks.

Some HBS sell conversion kits that make pin lock kegs into ball lock kegs.

Thanks for all the responses. I do not have any kegging equipment yet, but just gathering materials for the future. Thanks for all the ideas. I think I will buy it and hold onto it since it is such a great deal. All I need is a fridge. I have one in the basement but the fridge does not get below 60. The freezer works perfect...kind of frustrating!

Thanks again.

Back