Coffee Water Profile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

couchsending

Reaction score
Sorry is this has been discussed in another thread but was wondering if anyone here is building water for their coffee. I do it for every beer and have done a little research online but can’t seem to find much. Any help/tips would be appreciated.

Yes, I'm pretty deep into it and have worked with two local roasters to figure out water impact on different roasts and varieties. A bit extreme, yes, but being able to highlight specific coffee flavors (peach, blueberry, blackberry, ect...) via water adjustment has been fun.

Long story short, Third Wave makes tasty coffee but it produces a more balanced and softer profile than I prefer. I drink mostly high acidity Kenyan and Ethiopian single origins (pour over) and prefer water profiles that highlight more of the fruity-berry notes, particularly via mg and sulfate. That said, water composition and extraction go hand in hand, one does not overcome the issues of the other. I have not got into adjusting water for espresso.

This is a good starting point for most coffees. It is not my favorite for really high acidity stuff (Geisha and lactic process) but makes a nice, fruity and balanced cup. Usage per 1 gallon distilled water.

0.45 g/gal - MgS04
0.25 g/gal - NaHC03
0.25 g/gal - CaCl2

Back