Coffee Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RauelDuke

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a coffee stout and am wondering what is the best way to get the coffee flavor into my beer. I was thinking that about just adding some coffee beans to the secondary, kinda like dry hopping it. Hopefully someone with a little more experience can weigh in.

Coarse-grind the beans and add them to the secondary.

If you use cold-brewed coffee, you can add it a bit at a time to get the right mix.

There's a Founders Breakfast Stout clone recipe on here that uses coffee. I suggest starting there: when i tried it, the recipe was really good. In that, I put course grind grains in the secondary.

Besides the coffee, certain recipes have black malt (instead of roasted barley) and they have a distinct "coffee" flavor to them. My oatmeal stout has that "coffee roasty" instead of "stout roasty" flavor, if that makes sense. A recipe with black malt (not much) and some pale chocolate malt, along with real coffee beans or cold brewed coffee would definitely bring that flavor to the forefront.

Back