Coffee: Stirring Popcorn Popper conversion for roasting(pics/video)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw this at Walmart yesterday and had to try it. It's a Presto Stirring Popcorn Popper ($29).

Last night I got it going with a half pound of beans. It never really roasted the coffee. My IR thermometer showed me that the popper was keeping the temps at about 325, which is too low.

So this AM I opened the back up and bypassed the thermostat. Success! It was about 425-450 when I pulled the roast. In fact, I went a little too far. But I'm happy to say that this thing works great. If anyone wants to know how to do the bypass trick, I took some pics. The mod literally takes about 2 minutes and only requires a screwdriver.

_mg_82601-62798.jpg

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz0hz0bNMzE[/ame]

I went too far, for sure.

_mg_83141-62797.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
........umm.....I see pictures and video....

I think he's referring to the pictures I offered of the modification process. I took a few to document what I did, but while they are in focus they don't clearly show the change I made. I'll open the back of this popper up and take another picture and post later.

I think he's referring to the pictures I offered of the modification process. I took a few to document what I did, but while they are in focus they don't clearly show the change I made. I'll open the back of this popper up and take another picture and post later.

Yes, pictures of the mod. Thanks!

I was also thinking of going this route: as I have a stir crazy (and a turbo oven).

This also looks interesting: as I have a bread machine I don't use (I just do bread from scratch using a Kitchenaid pro mixer).

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried this. I bought a Presto 05201 Orville Redenbacher's Stirring Popper from Amazon. I tried it without modification and it took 30 minutes to reach a very light roast. My IR thermometer indicated about 325 degrees F. The next day I bypassed the thermostat and tried again. Beans were burning about the 5 minute mark and I had a smoking, burning mess before I hit 7 minutes. Maybe they changed something in the design, but mine gets way too hot with the thermostat bypassed.

Next step will be to look for a 400ish degree thermostat, or insulate the original thermostat so that the cooking surface gets hotter before shutting off, or wiring a bypass switch in the original thermostat circuit and using it at the end of the roasting cycle for additional heat.

I tried this. I bought a Presto 05201 Orville Redenbacher's Stirring Popper from Amazon. I tried it without modification and it took 30 minutes to reach a very light roast. My IR thermometer indicated about 325 degrees F. The next day I bypassed the thermostat and tried again. Beans were burning about the 5 minute mark and I had a smoking, burning mess before I hit 7 minutes. Maybe they changed something in the design, but mine gets way too hot with the thermostat bypassed.

Next step will be to look for a 400ish degree thermostat, or insulate the original thermostat so that the cooking surface gets hotter before shutting off, or wiring a bypass switch in the original thermostat circuit and using it at the end of the roasting cycle for additional heat.

Mine starts smoking at 7min. I have to shake the crap out of it at that point. I do use it to make a lot of coffee, and I don't like mine roasted too dark, so it does work.

I'll see if I can locate thermostats too. PM me if you find them, I'll do the same. That would be IDEAL!

SC/TO coffee roasters ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE RAN FROM BOTTOM ELEMENT.

If anyone is considering putting one together, simply cut power to pan's element (not motor). The convection oven in the lid has the power to run a beautiful roast.

Convection heat is a terrific source for roasting coffee - it's gentle on the beans and is easier to control.

Using the element in the pan, you would be using direct heat - this is the most harsh heat source on beans. This is why the OP's beans got torched in the OP.

I've built several home roasting systems - the Bread Machine/Heat Gun method is my favorite. The SC/TO is really solid too

SC/TO coffee roasters ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE RAN FROM BOTTOM ELEMENT.

If anyone is considering putting one together, simply cut power to pan's element (not motor). The convection oven in the lid has the power to run a beautiful roast.

Convection heat is a terrific source for roasting coffee - it's gentle on the beans and is easier to control.

Using the element in the pan, you would be using direct heat - this is the most harsh heat source on beans. This is why the OP's beans got torched in the OP.

I've built several home roasting systems - the Bread Machine/Heat Gun method is my favorite. The SC/TO is really solid too

No TO yet. I'm just cooking from the SC. Works OK for me but you have to shake the last few minutes.

^PD - Im gonna keep heckling until get it done haha! I know you will love the results as I can tell you enjoy the process thoroughly.

A couple other mods I would suggest:

Drill a small hole in the bottom (somewhere halfway between the center and edge) and insert a 1/32'' thermocouple. This will allow you to read bean mass temp. This is a valuable tool that will give you a heads up on when 1st crack is approaching. Then you can adjust heat power accordingly for a smooth finish/controlled 1C.

BTW - this will be more effective/accurate with the TO (turbo oven) doing the work.

2nd, extend the stirring arms. Ive seen people go as far as CNC machining arms to JB welding pieces of coat hanger on. Getting the beans moving more will increase the evenness of your roast and help prevent scorching/tipping of the beans.

Here is one of the most extreme SC/TO's Ive ever seen -
http://www.homeroasters.org/php/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=52&thread_id=561

Back