Coconut stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kjm06

Reaction score
I have a sweet stout in the primary and was wondering if it's ok to put the coconut on top of the stout after fermentation is complete, or if I should rack the stout on top of the coconut in a secondary

Thanks

Kjm06 said:
I have a sweet stout in the primary and was wondering if it's ok to put the coconut on top of the stout after fermentation is complete, or if I should rack the stout on top of the coconut in a secondary

Thanks

Depending on how much coconut flavor you want, I'd suggest adding to secondary at varying time lengths. Maybe add the coconut for the last seven days of secondary?

I did a jalapeño ale and kept peppers in the secondary for two weeks. I really like the amount of flavor I got, but could've done about five days less and had it taste better to more subdued palates.

brewingbryan said:
Depending on how much coconut flavor you want, I'd suggest adding to secondary at varying time lengths. Maybe add the coconut for the last seven days of secondary?

I did a jalapeño ale and kept peppers in the secondary for two weeks. I really like the amount of flavor I got, but could've done about five days less and had it taste better to more subdued palates.

Ok that makes sense. I assume I should use a blow off tube in the secondary after I add the coconut due to the fermentation starting back up

At least in my experience, you'll be ok with a normal stopper/blow off valve. Only time I've ever had to use a blow off tube was for two days after I added apricot purée to my secondary for an apricot wheat. Lots of sugars, obviously.

Unless you're putting something in the secondary that's going to have high amounts of fermentables, I imagine you're ok with the normal stopper. If you're pouring coconut flakes, for example, just make sure to sanitize before pitching and throw the desired amount in. I'd say soaking the coconut in vodka for a day prior would be good - just pour all it (vodka and coconut) in.

brewingbryan said:
At least in my experience, you'll be ok with a normal stopper/blow off valve. Only time I've ever had to use a blow off tube was for two days after I added apricot purée to my secondary for an apricot wheat. Lots of sugars, obviously.

Unless you're putting something in the secondary that's going to have high amounts of fermentables, I imagine you're ok with the normal stopper. If you're pouring coconut flakes, for example, just make sure to sanitize before pitching and throw the desired amount in. I'd say soaking the coconut in vodka for a day prior would be good - just pour all it (vodka and coconut) in.

Vodka won't affect the flavor?

Kjm06 said:
Vodka won't affect the flavor?

It would probably enhance it a bit. I've used it to soak cocoa nibs and it really opened up the flavor.

Just pour enough in to cover the coconut, don't dump a whole bottle on top, obviously.

Back