Cocoa nibs in bourbon = super bitter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calypso

Reaction score
So I soaked 4 oz. of cocoa nibs in 6 ounces of bourbon for five days (along with 1.5 vanilla beans, cut and scraped). I strained it through a coffee filter today, and it smells awesome, but it is SUPER bitter (and I'm a hop head), almost astringent. I'm hesitant to add it to the RIS I have in primary. Did I do something wrong? Will it mellow? Will Rocky reach Bullwinkle in time?

The nibs should be bitter on their own yes. If you want to check before adding all of it to your bottling bucket draw a cup of your brew off and add a measured amount. Once you get a comfortable level just ramp it up to your bottling amount.

You could also add some lactose at bottling with the priming sugar if you like, it can soften the bitterness a bit.

Just bear in mind your taste right now is of the concentrated amount. Mixed with 5 gallons of brew it will be much less.

I'm going to try filtering it a bit better, see if removing some more of the particulate matter reduces the astringency.

I'm actually glad that I accidentally underhopped this RIS now, since I think the coffee and chocolate infusions are going to add a noticeable level of bitterness.

Think of eating 80% chocolate, it can get pretty bitter.

I use nibs, while it's more of a dark than a milk chocolate flavor, I love it.

No worries, you had no idea what was going on. Again, it is up to the person making the joke to make sure timing is right. I didn't, so it's my bad.

:)

Latest posts

Back