Cocao nibs in a stout, is it possible to add at flameout rather than fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeve007

Reaction score
I've had some oxidation issues with a couple of NEIPAs I've made, so along with staying away from that style until I get a better (closed) system in place, I also want to make a couple of beers that don't require me to open the fermenter at any stage prior to bottling.

First off the bat is a cream stout, and I want to add a little more chocolate flavour via cocao nibs, and while I know nost common method is to add into the fermenter after soaking in vodka or similar, I have read you can also add at flameout. Has anyone done this, and does it work well?

Cheers.

Never done it, but maybe you could add them at pitching time after the wort is cool and you are supposed to be oxygenating anyway?

I use cocoa nibs in a stout but haven't tried adding them to the boil, only the fermenter method. I have added Hershey's unflavored cocoa powder with 10 min left in boil, along with nibs in fermenter, and had nice results. But I think if you're careful about adding the nibs to the fermenter you'll be okay. When I add vodka soaked cocoa nibs to my stout I put them in a few hop socks with some glass beads for extra weight and tied shut with unflavored dental floss (everything sanitzed in starsan first). I then lower each bag gently into fermenter by holding the floss. I've had no oxidation issues.

Appreciate all the feedback guys. So looks like there's a range of ways to add 'em, and I can do so before going into the fermenter. I might try that, and then if I sample a tiny bit from the tap after a few days if it's not chocolate enough I can carefully add some more in the fermenter, if I must.

I have done without issues for a couple of sours I made, fruits into fermenter, so probably is just the NEIPA I'm having issues with, but after 2 of those in a row just a little hesitant, just want to make a good beer this time.

I always soak my nibs along with some vanilla beans to make a tincture. I've used vodka but this last time I used bourbon and it was amazing.

Back