Coast Guard Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JACWagon

Reaction score
Howdy all! I just got a Mr. Beer kit yesterday for Christmas (I know thats like the NOOB setup, but I AM a noob) and made the pilsner yesterday. Ive got a winter ale to make as soon as the pilsner is done and bottled.

I am excited to get into this hobby!

I am in the Coast Guard, stationed in San Francisco, CA and live in South Lake Tahoe, CA. (Keeping the wort around 70 degrees seems to be the hardest part thus far!)

Hey JAC, Welcome to the forum.

I would recommend doing a bunch of reading on whatever styles or type of brewing you want to get into. A lot of newbies start using 5 gallon extract kits and bottling. I started this way and many folks continue using this process which works quite well. I will say that we are seeing a lot of poorly written and misleading directions being provided in those new beer kits.
I recommend reading a lot here, particularly in the stickies of the Beginner section. Another great source recommended by many of us is the book "How to Brew" by Palmer.
For example, you mention keeping your fermenter at 70F. I wonder what type of yeast your using? Most yeast that are used in ales prefer the low 60's. Pilsners are lagers and their yeasts tend to ferment around 50F. Yeasts will give off some esters and off flavors at higher temps beyond their range.

For example, you mention keeping your fermenter at 70F. I wonder what type of yeast your using? Most yeast that are used in ales prefer the low 60's. Pilsners are lagers and their yeasts tend to ferment around 50F. Yeasts will give off some esters and off flavors at higher temps beyond their range.

I suspect that it's a pilsner style made with an ale yeast.

Welcome aboard JACWagon. Many of us started out with Mr. Beer kits and many still enjoy playing around with the canned kits. There's quite a range to this hobby.

Thanks for the tips guys! the yeast is the "brewers yeast" supplied with the Malt Extract.

I am certainly into reading tips and tricks by better and more experienced brewers. I am on Subaru forums, and I encourage new Suby owners to do the same thing.

I have a feeling this hobby is going to be just as expensive as my Subaru and Photography hobbies haha

It can get quite expensive if you let it. There is always an upgrade to be had!

If you have the ability to lower your fermenter temp to the mid 60's I would do so.

Welcome to the group and thank you for your service.

Basic Brewing has a video podcast on "doctoring mr. beer" that is worthwhile. They have great videos in general.

Welcome Jac! MrBeer is a great way to start, proceed at your own pace. You can use the Little Brown Keg to ferment the hopped extracts they sell, or any other level. Plenty of small batch brewers around, read the "1Gallon brewers" thread.
I'm a CG vet, 81-87, Boatswain's Mate, served on Decisive, Cape Horn (95', gone) Rescue Station Fort Totten NY (also gone).
I started with MrB a year ago. I've brewed 23 batches, mostly grain BIAB.

Retired DCCS 77-04, I'm jealous you live in the Tahoe area, oh well when I win the lotto I will be your neighbor. You'll find tons of info here on the way to go and you'll find that the next step you take whether it be extract, BIAB(I do this) or All-Grain, that you will get a better tasting beer than the Mr Beer kit. Search Craigslist for homebrew kits and you may end up giving up one of you other hobbies or add to it.

Nice to see some fellow Coasties! Tahoe isn't that expensive if you compare it to SF or LA. I am stationed in SF so I get the SF BAH.

Thanks for the tips fellahs, I will certainly see where this hobby takes me. As of now, I think I might be hooked.

I can MAKE my own beer and DRINK it too??!? yes please… lol

Question, is there a beer out there similar to Guinness? Smooth porter/stouts are my favorite.

You'll get hooked as soon as you taste your own beer and enjoy the heck out of it! My advice is to just keep it simple, try different things, and then stick to what you like. Mr. Beer kits are ok, but you'll probably want to branch out a little. I observed how my friends set things up and went from there. I acquired a lot of stuff cheaply from Craigslist (carboys, bottles, cappers, and other equipment). You don't have to spend a fortune, but like any other hobby, there is no limit to how much money you can put into it. Just have fun!

Thanks for your service!

As for Mr Beer - there's nothing wrong with it if you like it. I am hoping to find some closeouts to try some ideas for their kits.

Welcome to a great place to learn from fellow victims of the obsession.

Back