Coagulation after using pectic enzyme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfer

Reaction score
So I started making some hard cider a few months ago and would like to get it transferred to bottles for further aging in order to free up some equipment. I used a rather hefty yeast starter from a previous batch and decided to clarify a bit with super kleer. I also added some pectic enzyme solution when it was already at about 8%ABV (meant to, but forgot to add before ferment).

I'm noticing a lot of sedimentation, which is great, but also some floating strand-like bits throughout. My bet is that it has more to do with the PE in alcohol. I'm wondering if anyone else has also experienced this and if they'll eventually settle or if I'll need to filter them out before bottling.

Thanks!

I believe superkleer is more the culprit. I remember when I used it to make Skeeter pee it formed gelatinous blobs that floated around and eventually sank. Just give it time to settle so you don't end up in your bottles. Also if you plan on carbonating, you might want to add more yeast at bottling. After 3 weeks I didn't even have slight carbonation after using superkleer even though I heavily backsweetened.

Back