CO2 Tank Spontaneously Discharges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StLouBrew

Reaction score
I got my nearly new Kegco 10lb CO2 tank filled yesterday. Got it home, checked the weight on the scale to make sure it was about 10lbs heavier than the empty weight and it was. Then I left it standing on a flat hard surface (tile floor). A bit later than that, I left the house - was gone for maybe 90 minutes. When I got home I found the tank laying down on it's side, it had frost all over it and it was totally empty. The valve / handle was still firmly in the off postion. :confused:

Since it had been standing upright and when I found it, it was laying down, there had to be a sudden release that took place with enough force to knock it over. I'm thinking that maybe the burst release mechansm.. released. But why? It wasn't over-filled, and it was in a room that was 68F.

Any suggestions on what happened? Why it happened? What I should do with the thing?

Thanks

Luckily I've never had a spontaneous discharge. That sux. Have you contacted Kegco?

Back