Co2 tank pressure inside fridge Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElJefeBrews

Reaction score
First time kegging here. I put the keg outside under 30 psi for about a day and a half then dropped the psi down to 10 and put the keg and tank inside the fridge. A little while later I noticed the the pressure reading on the regulator had dropped quite a bit. My question is... is it simply that the regulator gauge dropped OR did the actual pressure going into the keg drop and I should raise the reading inside the fridge up to 10 psi?

Ok just wanna double check.... it was at 10 psi outside the fridge, and once inside the fridge for a while it dropped to just 1 or 2 psi. I now raised the reading up to 10 psi while still in its cold refrigerated state. Is that correct?

I kept reading that the reading will drop but couldn't seem to find any answers on what, if anything, should be done to make sure it's at the correct pressure.

Pressure responds to temperature (yay ideal gas laws!). If you read the overall pressure in the CO2 bottle after it's been in the fridge a while vs what it was at room temp you'll see a drop.

Set everything up where you want it, let the temperature equalize, and then reset the regulator to your desired level. You should be good to go.

For those that do leave the tank inside the fridge, what pressure do you normally force carb at?

30 psi for 48 hours, drop to serving pressure, bleed extra pressure, and pour away.

Just wanna be extra sure...

I just kegged a saison. Both the keg AND the tank are In the fridge and I set the psi to 18. Is that gonna over carb it?

This is only my third kegged beer so I'm still unsure on the carbing.

Back