CO2 Tank in Fridge or Out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danloveshops

Reaction score
I have been kegging for a few months now and have been a little bit confused about the regulator. When I initially put the keg in the fridge to force carbonate I also put my co2 tank in with it. I have to periodically check on the regulator for the first day because the pressure drops from drop in temperature. Should I trust what the regulator says in the fridge or should I drill a hole and keep the tank outside the fridge at room temperature?

I doesn't matter if it's in or out. CO2 is sold by weight not volume and the gauge, as you saw, is not accurate especially at different temps. If you really want to be sure you should weigh
the tank empty then full. That being said, I wait 'till the gauge looks dangerously low and get a refill.

Ok , I guess the question I should of asked is if 10 psi is actually 10 psi at 38 degrees.

I know it's ticky-tack but I think we should clarify because it gets people confused. The gauges are still accurate in the fridge, it's just that the high pressure gauge doesn't measure what many people assume it is measuring. It accurately reflects the pressure in the tank, which is temperature dependent but not related to the amount of liquid CO2 left. The low pressure gauge shows what the regulator is dispensing, and what the keg is seeing. So 10 psi is still 10 psi, it's the volume of dissolved CO2 that will change with temp.

chickypad said:
I know it's ticky-tack but I think we should clarify because it gets people confused. The gauges are still accurate in the fridge, it's just that the high pressure gauge doesn't measure what many people assume it is measuring. It accurately reflects the pressure in the tank, which is temperature dependent but not related to the amount of liquid CO2 left. The low pressure gauge shows what the regulator is dispensing, and what the keg is seeing. So 10 psi is still 10 psi, it's the volume of dissolved CO2 that will change with temp.

Well said!

Definitely well said, but to add to that to clear up what the OP might be getting at, is that BOTH gauges may change with temperature depending on the quality of your regulator. The secondary (supply) pressure will probably be affected with a single stage regulator (as most of the cheap ones are) by the ~200 psi difference in tank pressure that results from the change in temp between ambient and fridge. So, you may have to adjust your pressure setting when moving the tank and reg in and out of the fridge.

So, yes the gauge is as accurate as it is going to be, wherever it is located. But if you set the pressure with the tank and reg outside the fridge, it is possible you will have to adjust it up a bit if you move it inside the fridge.

Latest posts

Back