CO2 Tank Died Overnight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I just went to pour myself a beer for the Sunday Night Football game to discover that my CO2 tank died overnight. It was at 600 PSI last night. I have a double regulator and one of the kegs was showing no pressure and the other was still showing it was at serving pressure. These are the first two kegs on the tank. I am guessing this means the the keg with no pressure today (or the CO2 hose to that keg) is leaking. Does that seem right? Also, where can I go to get a refill on the CO2 other than an LHBS? My LHBS will not be open until Wednesday.

You might have a leak. Check it in stages, open tank charge regs, then close tank see if they leak, then move to each keg, etc etc

CO2 tank high pressure gages are kind of misleading, especially if you tank is in your kegerator/keezer. You might have a leak but if the system has been holding pressure for a few weeks or months then I'd suggest you do not have a leak. The end of the Co2 tank was in sight at 600 psi. CO2 is weird, once it stabilizes it holds the same pressure on the HP gauge for a long time. Once it's about to go it does not give alot of warning and can die overnight.

There are plenty of folks here on HBT that can explain the physics of it, I'm not one. It happens man. If you want to know how much CO2 you have consumed during it's use, weigh it. There is a tare number on your tank.. The weight of the tank empty and with no regulator attached. Weighing and comparing the two will give you a very good idea on how much CO2 is left in the tank.

After doing this a few times you'll have a better idea of how long a CO2 tank should last given your set-up and carbing procedure. It's the same for all of us in it is different.

Thanks. I figure there must be a leak somewhere, so I will test it out. These are my first two kegs, but I have to believe that a 5 pound tank should not have run dry before these two kegs were kicked.

Break out a spray bottle of soapy water and start checking each connection. I had several small leaks from when I installed check valves. I didn't use nylon flare washers as my previous system sealed fine without them.

BTW, I don't know if you are in DC proper or not, but there is a place I go to in Laurel MD to fill my CO2. My money is on them not being open until Wednesday either, though.

Chipsah is right on. Check your fittings. You didn't mention where you got your set up or if you peiced it together yourself. My own experience was, I bought a 4 tap keggerator kit from a very reputable company. I would do business with them again because they provide quality products and have great prices on their equipment along with cheap shipping cost.

I put my kegerator together and it leaked CO2. The pre-built fittings weren't tight. A wrench solved that.

Getting good seals won't be that hard for you, might just take a little tweaking.

Best of luck to you!

:mug:

Dan

For fills you can also check out Bars by Bud Mepham in the Merryfield/vienna area as they do refills. Additionally there is a place in Arlington with the cheapest fill rates I have found that I can get you the name of when I get home. Has a pretty good keg selection too.

The high pressue gauge will read pretty consistent until you are almost out. If I am not mistaken I believe this is because the liquid CO2 will equalize the pressure as you use it and it will stay consistant until it is all gas with no liquid left. Kind of like how when ice melts it keeps the water bath it is in at a temperature just shy of freezing until there is no more ice to melt to keep the temperature that cold.

I second the idea to have a spare CO2 bottle, or at least a charger with CO2 catridges for emergencies.

Back