CO2 rousing from the bottom of a conical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philipCT

Brewniversity student
Reaction score
In his Brewing a DIPA/Pliny the Elder article, Vinnie at Russian River suggests rousing with CO2 from the bottom of a conical during dry hopping. While this sounds like a good technique, I'm not sure how I would approach this.

What little bits of gear, and what technique do I need to do something like this?

I've got a 3/4 male QD coming out off the 3/4 ball-valve on the dump port, and then there's the dip-tube just above that.

Anyone have experience with this?

Update: So i just decided to do a hillbilly CO2 wand to get this done:

-made a 6' length of 1/4 inch beverage hose with a swivel flare fitting on one end
-rubber banded this to a 36" piece of aluminum rod
-sanitized all the above
-cranked the CO2 reg to about 5psi
-dropped the "wand" into the conical from the top access portal (where the blowoff tube goes)
-blew CO2 in about 10 times over a couple of minutes, for about 5 secs apiece
-as I extracted the whole deal, laid down a bed of CO2 on top of the beer
-reinserted the blowoff tube

Seemed to work pretty well, at least I got some really awesome hops aromas coming out of the top. guess I'll do this again every few days like Vinnie recommends.

I've started thinking about how to do this more easily - some way to have a more permanent solution. I'm thinking all I'd have to do is plumb a check valve into the 3/4" elbow that the dump valve is attached to. This way I could just attach the gas and give it a shot whenever I wanted to without having to open up the fermenter. Good for rousing yeast as well as hops, although rousing yeast has never been on my radar.

I guess I could drill the right size hole and then tap some threads into it, and just thread it in with some Teflon tape. That way I could remove it for cleaning if I needed to. Anyone have any thoughts about fabricating this? Do I need to weld this?

Back